Chapter 1

Emmett pov

 September 1, 1706

Night of the willow ball.

People moved with ease whilst weaving between each other, joining hands then letting go. They looked like they were gliding over the ballroom floor. The women's dresses and corsets decorated with pearls and diamonds and the men's suits were delicate and posh, the costumes looked beautiful.

"Excuse me" came a light delicate voice from behind me. I turned to see a small boney girl, looking almost skeletal, holding a tray of white wine. "Would you like another drink sir?" she questioned timidly.

I took the drink and thanked the girl for her service. Whilst indulging in the wine I noticed a pale, slender woman of around my years, swaying to the music in the distance. Her eyes as green as emeralds, her lips plump, full with a deep red colour. Her long brown hair fell lightly over her shoulders and down her back to form ringlets all the way through, she was breathtaking. 

Compared to my rather muscular physique and rugged features, she was petite and soft on the eye. My instincts told me I should court this beauty, so that i could brag about her later. I waltzed over to where she was stood, i stared at her from a slight distance, then I made my move.

" Good evening, young beauty, i'm Emmett Van Clause, what is your name?" I gently kissed her pale hand and  looked into her eyes, hoping she would react in a positive way. 

"Good evening Emmett, my name is Amilea Harding". Her voice was as soft as a lullaby, she could be my target girl for a week or two.