Accidents Do Happen

© 2016 A. B. Panell
All Rights Reserved.

A sharp wind blew around me, tugging on the coat and scarf I wore. I pulled the edges of the coat's hood closer to my cheeks, hoping to ward off the brunt of the sudden chill. Who I was I kidding, though? The storm going on around me refused to relent.

You should have stayed home, Heddy, my conscience chided.

Yeah, well, you know I can't.

There's a blizzard going on.

So?

So . . . Go home.

No.

You know you want to.

But I . . .

The sound of a horn beeping broke through the silent battle I was having with myself. I watched a car slide in my direction, its driver frantically waving at me. Fear rooted me in place. Try as I might, my feet refused to move.

Inch by inch, the car slid closer and closer. The driver shoved the vehicle's door open and threw himself toward the snow-covered street. Seconds later, he bounded to his feet, skirting the edge of the sliding vehicle and throwing himself at me.

We tumbled to the ground and rolled across the snow, barely avoiding the car as it slammed into the pole nearby. The momentum of the fall catapulted us down the grassy knoll. Minutes later, we came to a stop at the bottom.

"Are you crazy?" the man asked, pushing himself off me.

"I don't think so," I said, and sat up.

"Didn't you see me waving?"

"Sort of."

He raised an incredulous brow. "Sort of?"

"It's snowing, you know."

The man sighed with exasperation. "Figures I'd get stuck with a nutter."

I stood up and dusted the snow off my jeans and coat. "Excuse me?"

He ignored my question and said, "What are you doing out in this storm anyway?"

"I could say the same of you."

The shadows obscured his eyes, preventing me from seeing what color they were. Nevertheless, his intense stare focused on me.

"How about we start over?" he asked.

"Sure," I said, holding a hand out in front of me.

He slid his large glove covered hand against mine. "I'm Barry James. And you are?"

"Hedwig."

Barry frowned. "Come again?"

My cheeks grew warm. "Umm . . . I'm Hedwig. Or Heddy."

He chortled and shook his head. "You have a last name, Heddy?"

Man, can this get any worse?

"Yes."

His lips pursed. "And?"

"Uh . . . Stanton."

"Interesting," he said, and pumped my hand with gusto. "Nice to meet you, Hedwig Stanton."

Blood thundered in my ears, and my cheeks grew even warmer. "Please, call me Heddy. All my friends do."

Barry arched a thick black eyebrow, his face full of curiosity. "But we're not friends, are we, Heddy?"