Chapter Two

In Which Steve Rogers Learns He's Pregnant
skvsolo

Chapter Management

Edit Chapter Delete Chapter
Chapter 2: darcy is good for him

Summary:

Darcy helps Steve figure this out. She's the only one he thinks might have some sort of an idea on how to handle this... baby business.
Chapter Text

Eventually, Steve gathers himself enough to pull himself up off of the edge of the bathtub. He leaves most of the tests on the toilet, shoves one in the pocket of his hoodie.

Darcy Lewis is his go-to for when he doesn't understand something. Her teasing is welcome, and she will listen to records or watch movies with him when he asks.

She's a friend he never expected to have.

She's also the Head of Omega Affairs for SHIELD.

No one is entirely sure how she got that title. Steve's half convinced she kicked someone out of their office and slapped a name tag on the door.

Her office is nice, though. It always smells like some wild array of flowers, there's always soft music playing from the speaker on her desk. Papers are everywhere, and there's a bulletin board on her wall filled with pamphlets for upcoming events, various support groups, a hotline or two. The room is decorated with easy colors, posters for bands she likes. And, of course, the magazine cover that caught a good picture of his ass while he was running.

She was certainly a character, Darcy Lewis.

She perks up when she sees him, straightens the papers she's doing before putting them to the side. "Steve! My main dude! What brings you to my humble abode?"

Steve forces a little smile, sits in the comfortable chair across from her desk. "I, uh," He clears his throat, pulls his lip between his teeth.

"You fuckin' stink, Steve. You can't tell me it's nothing this time, honey."

This smile is a little more genuine, but it fades when he twists the test between his fingers. He leans forward to place it on the desk in front of her. He wants to sink into the seat cushions while he watches her reaction.

"What the-" There's a few beats as Darcy turns the pink, plastic stick in her fingers, glances between Steve and the pink plus. "Steven Grant Rogers. You got laid and you didn't tell me?!"

Steve can't help but roll his eyes, hand pressed against his stomach again, still tucked into his hoodie pocket. He can't help the flick to the corner of his lips, either.

Darcy is good for him.

"You'll never guess who, either."

"Dude. If you've got, like, Thor's demigod spawn in your uterus, I will be so jealous."

Steve raises an eyebrow at her in response. "If I ever came within three feet of Thor's knot, you'd be the first to know."

She makes a finger gun at him, winks once. "Alright, if it's not him, then spill."

Steve glances back, uses one hand to lock the door behind him. "You can't.. You know. Yell. Or anything. Any kind of overreacting you might... Do, I guess."

"Steve, when have I ever overreacted?"

"Always, Darcy, literally always."

"Fair. Now, c'mon. Who popped a knot in America's Golden Boy?"

Steve leans forward, gives her the answer in a hushed murmur. He doesn't need that getting out, of all things.

"No. Way." She backs up slowly. "No way!" The Omega leaps from her rolling chair, paces the length of her office. "You got-" She hushes, slams her hands against the desk, leans in closer. "Knocked up by the Winter Soldier?" She laughs, resumes her pacing.

Steve had been expecting this. "You done?"

"You've got a-" Darcy motions to him, specifically his abdomen, and Steve curls up a little. "Inside you and it's Bucky Barnes'?! Ooh, I need to sit down."

"Please do. And here I thought I was panicking."

She sits back in her chair, legs crossed over each other like she's a child eagerly awaiting a story. "Details. Right now." Apparently, she is.

Steve feels comfortable telling Darcy his story, even the x-rated part. Never did he think he would be sitting in a pastel office with a blown up poster of his ass, telling a hyperactive woman his sexual escapes.

"That explains the crying over Lady and the Tramp, then, huh?"

"Listen, Darcy, the dog died, okay? I'm gonna start crying again if you don't hush."

The other Omega snorts a laugh at him as she picks up the test again, flicks the little pink plus twice. Steve almost hopes it changes everything.

"So. You're definitely preggers."

"The other nine tests in my bathroom can attest to that."

Darcy chews on her cheek as she thinks, twists the plastic between her fingers. "You know this means, like. Baby doctors and stuff, yeah? No more Captain America-ing?" She gasps. "No more movie drinking games!"

Steve is relieved when those words leave her mouth. Though, he has to admit, he'll miss it. "You had be worried for a second there. Thought there may have been a genuine crises." He runs a hand through the hair on the back of his head, scratches his neck. "I thought about all that, yeah."

"You know I gotta ask, big bear," She stops. Licks her lips. "Are you gonna keep it?"

This gives Steve pause. That, of all things, he hadn't thought about. "I..."

"You don't have to answer right away, Steve,"

"I do."

"Or do. You wanna keep the pup? As your baby, or up for adoption?"

Steve wrestles with his words for a moment, eyebrows creased. "It's an option. For some Omegas, sure. Abortion and adoption and all that, they can do what they need to to make themselves happy," Steve clears his throat, stomach rolling again. "I can't do that. Can't give up finally having a chance to have my family. Even if Buck wants no part of it."

He must be looking a little green, Because Darcy lifts her little personal trash can from the side of her desk and motions for Steve to take it. He holds the purple metal to his chest tight enough to dent it slightly.

"Then we'll set up a doctor's appointment, yeah? You comfortable with going civilian, or do you wanna do it SHIELD?"

Steve doesn't have think on it too hard. "Is Bruce in?"

Darcy has to think for a moment before she checks something on her computer.

"Yeah. Is that his kind of science, though?"

Steve shrugs, swallows hard. "I mean.. I don't know. He's who I trust with this, though."

"Alright then, big bear, let's go bug Doctor Banner and break the news."

This should be interesting.