1- Hired

The doorbell rang as Mrs. McLoughlin put little Sean down for a nap. She tucked him in and made her way downstairs quickly. She looked through the peephole on the door, making sure it's who she's expecting. She was sure once she sees the familiar facial features, though she was a bit shocked by the vibrant red locks.

She opened the door. "Mark Fischbach. You're exactly the same as your profile picture. Minus the hair."

He let out a chuckle and extended his hand to her. She shook it. "And you must be Mrs. McLoughlin, beautiful accent by the way. I've been told to update that photo but I keep forgetting. Sorry if it startled you a bit, I got it re-done yesterday so it's still pretty bright."

"It's quite alright. Come on in, I have some questions for you."

"Of course. Lead the way." He responded.

She moved out of the way, allowing him to enter the house. She told him to have a seat on the couch while she got drinks from the kitchen. Mark looked around the living room, admiring the furniture and pictures. He waited patiently for her return. He also noted how comfortable couch was.

She came back, placing the tray on the coffee table and offering him some lemonade or some cheese and crackers. He accepted, knowing he most likely wouldn't even touch any of it. He'd usually get nervous when meeting with a potential employer and would refrain from eating anything till after the interview.

"So Mrs. McLoughlin, what would you like to know?" He asked, sounding eager.

She took a sip from her glass and nodded. She swallowed and put her glass down again. "Well, for starters, how did you end up taking care of children? I printed a copy of your resume and it says you were a nurse for two years at Mercy Hospital. How did that happen?"

He sighed. "That's always the first question I get asked. Which is normal. What makes you go from the medical field to babysitting? Frankly, I've always had a sweet spot for kids. Ever since I was little, I'd try to help my aunts with my baby cousins. Feed them, dress them, make them stop crying. But not the point. I left the hospital and nursing all together because it wasn't what I actually wanted. Once I realized that, plus some family circumstances, I got a degree in child care and became a foster parent."

She nodded as if to say 'Continue'.

He leaned back on the couch. "I've worked professionally for six other families up until this point. As a whole, I've been babysitting since I was ten years old. There's never been an issue. At least, not one I was made aware of. What else would you like to know?"

"We need someone who will always be available to take care of our baby. I'm a lawyer, my husband's a pediatrician. Chances are we'll both be at our offices till late or Mr. McLoughlin will be needed in the ER and won't come home until much later. Your profile said you are currently not employed by any other families. If that is correct, you will not work for any other family while you're employed by us. Are you alright with those terms?"

Mark took a minute to process the information. On one hand, he'd only have to worry about one child's schedule. On the other, it was like they were tying his hands. But he needed to work and he could tell they'd pay well.

"It's fine. If you hire me, how many hours would I be watching him?"

"From 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. at least. Basically, you're with him until one of us comes back. And how did you know he's a boy? I never mentioned that." She asked, watching him intently.

Mark pointed at the small picture frame on the wall behind her. "He seems like a sweet baby. And judging by the other pictures, you have a lovely family. I'm guessing you need a sitter because they're not around."

She nodded. He was correct, Sean was the youngest of five in that household. Malcolm, Simon, Susan and Allison had all moved out years ago. The siblings who weren't still in college were already married and had families of their own.

They continued to ask each other questions for an hour until she was convinced that he'd be fine for the job. She found him quite charming, actually. Not to mention observant. She gave him a tour of the whole house, finishing in baby Sean's room. He stirred but didn't wake up at the voices in his room. She picked him up and put him over her shoulder, he let out an adorable little sigh.

"Aww. He's precious." Mark cooed.

"Yes, he is. My little clover baby." She rubbed his back in a soothing manner.

Mark scrunched up his face. 'Clover baby'? He thought.

She laughed softly at his reaction.

"He thought a clover was a flower when he first saw one. He also loves anything green, as you can tell by many of the toys scattered around. And he likes the name, which makes it more adorable."

Mark nodded understanding the nickname. He wouldn't be calling him that himself of course, it seemed like something family exclusive.

Sean whimpered and his mother shushed him. "It's okay Jack, Momma's here. You're okay Jackaboy."

Mark raised an eyebrow. " 'Jack'? I thought his name was Sean."

"It is. My mother called him 'Jack' once and it just stuck. He knows his real name though, you can call him by either one." Having calmed down, she placed the baby boy back in the crib. They exited the room and went downstairs.

"So, what do you think? Am I fit for the job?"

She scoffed. "You're very straight forward, you know that?"

"I try to be." He grinned.

She walked passed him into the kitchen. "Well, you're hired. Tomorrow I'm taking a personal day so, you won't start early. However, my husband and I will be going out tomorrow evening so you'll have to be here by 7:30. Is there anything else you'd like to know before starting?"

"Just one thing: Can I properly meet your husband tomorrow? I like to know both parents if they are present in the child's life. So I feel like I have full permission to actually be here and do my job." He said rather easily, didn't even hesitate. Which meant he was already somewhat comfortable talking to her.

"In that case, be here at 7. I think you and Sean will get along. Especially with that unorthodox hair of yours." She smirked.

"Oh, the kids love it. I mess it up, make weird faces and they'll be entertained for a couple of seconds." He demonstrated and Mrs. McLoughlin bursted into laughter because of how ridiculous he looked.

"I can see why." She was still laughing.

Eventually she stopped, they said their goodbyes and he left.

She checked on Sean again, he was still snoozing away. She kissed his head, the baby smiled at this in his sleep. Making her mother suppress a loud coo.