Letting Go

For the past six months, Marilyn has noticed a significant change in her husband's attitude. He seems happier.

He isn't yelling at her for spending thousands of his money. Last month her clothing bills came to over one million dollars. This time she didn't get a lecture from her husband, but his accountant.

Something else she noticed, he is spending more and more time at Camp David or going to political events. He knows that she despises those events and Camp David, yet he always seems to be in a rush to go off to another political conference. She knows something is going on, but she doesn't know what!

Jack had just gotten out of the shower, while Jackie is lying in bed. She looks beautiful lying there peacefully, especially with her afterglow. He walks over and kissed her gently on the forehead.

He had been thinking lately about how he should go about leaving Marilyn.

He would take care of her to a certain extent, but she needs to learn how to take care of herself. He knows he would be the first President to get divorced while in office, but he wasn't sure if he could afford another three years of Marilyn's bills.

Marilyn is a good woman, just her heart and mind is ruled by money. Not that he couldn't afford it, but he knows his heart isn't in it anymore. He knows that he isn't truly in love with her.

He decides that he has no other choice other than to call his lawyer and begin the divorce process.

....

It's strange after the conversation with his lawyer, Jack felt the weight of Marilyn to come off his shoulders.

He did feel somewhat bad, but it wasn't like Marilyn wasn't going to be taken care of, but not the way she was used to living.

The conditions of the divorce would be, "He, John Kennedy, would pay Marilyn's bills for three months giving Marilyn sufficient time to find a job to take care of herself. After the 90 days, Marilyn will become financially responsible for any and all bills that she accrues for herself. She will receive a spousal allowance of $2,500, which will be divided up in four payments of $625 per week; until she remarries."

He knows he is being more than generous, but knowing Marilyn she is going to fight for more money if she could.

But if she were to find out about him and Jackie, she definitely will be granted more money, if not half of everything he owns.

For a time, he and Jackie will have to stop seeing each other until the divorce is over. It is selfish, but he didn't want to lose everything to Marilyn.

Later that night at Jackie's apartment...

"Jack, are you ok? You've been quiet all night," Jackie asks sitting his plate of food in front of him.

"I've just been doing a lot of thinking; especially about us," he replies picking up his fork.

"Oh, what about?" she asks, not sure if she is going to like the answer or not.

"Well, I've already started the process of divorcing Marilyn. I know if Marilyn finds out about us that'll give her more leverage in court..."

"So you want us to stop seeing each other until after the divorce," Jackie asks looking at him straight in the eyes.

That is one of the things about Jackie he likes, yet it made him uncomfortable.

She can be so direct and it was like she knew what he was about to say before he could even say it. He has heard from some of his Senator buddies how tough Jackie could be on the Senate floor. She is definitely no pushover.

"Yes; I...," he just stopped before he felt like he would say something stupid.

Jackie knew that this day was going to come. He would end their relationship by either going back to his wife or until another woman came along.

He could just be simply trying to protect her, but of course, protect himself and his reputation as his wallet.

Definitely going to be hard because she developed feelings for him. But she knew eventually her time was going to come to an end.

"Jackie, I love you and care about you deeply. I just don't want you to get caught up in what's about to happen."

"Sure Jack," she replies putting fork full of ziti in her mouth.

He looks at Jackie and decided not to continue to the conversation.

They eat in silence for the rest of the time, not long after Jack decides that he should go.

Jackie walks him to the door and before he walks out he turns to her.

"I guess I'll call you later," he says before moving in to kiss her passionately.

"Goodbye Jack," she replies not looking at him.

"I'm not saying goodbye Jackie," he replies cupping her cheek.

Once she closed the door, she breaks down and cries.