2. The Great War

10 years later......

I watched as Ulfric quietly prayed by the fire pit in the courtyard. I then gently let my wings create a gentle breeze towards his direction. He felt it and rose from his knees. It has been ten years since we first met. Two years since we got together. He looked at me and a smile went across his face.

"Trying to get my attention?" Ulfric said jokingly.

"Maybe" I said continuing his humor.

He came closer to me. He caressed my check and kissed my forehead gently.

"Are we still heading to Riverwood tonight?" I asked Ulfric. The greybeards instructed us to head down every month or so to get in touch with the world. It's something they had to do. But not something that Arngier agreed with.

"Yes. It will be the only time to leave this month." He replied.

"Do you want to go now or later tonight?" I asked.

"Whenever. Now would be a good time now that the sun is setting. Are you ready?" Ulfric asked.

"Yes." I replied while releasing my wings. Ulfric took a strong grip around my arm and I held onto him as we made our way to the edge of the mountain. We both then jumped off the mountain and my wings instantly caught our fall. The wind was beating at our faces as we descended down the mountain. I landed us just past river wood. My wings entered my body and I looked like a normal citizen. Ulfric grabbed hold of my hand and we walked to the Sleeping Giant, the inn/ tavern in Riverwood.

We entered the inn and were immediately greeted with a tavern brawl.

"I will go talk to the innkeeper" Ulfric said to me as he let go of my hand.

I watched the brawl go on for moments until the Imperial gave into the Nord fighting him. The imperial had blood all over him. Then a man who smelled of ale walked towards me. He looked drunk.

"Heyz you" he said. I gasped as he put his hand on my breast. I couldn't defend myself without revealing myself.

"Please just leave me alone" I said as I pushed his hand away. He didn't take it well and pushed me to the ground. I let out a cry of shock. He then grabbed me by the leg and tried to drag me until Ulfric pushed him away causing him to fall. When the drunk man tried to get up Ulfric punched him, knocking out a tooth. Everyone in the tavern was staring.

"Damn Breton" Ulfric muttered.
He then went and helped me up and we then exited the tavern . He then led me to the river.  He held me close to his face.

"Are you alright?" He asked gently.

"Y-yes I'm fine now"  I replied still scared of what had just happened.  He then kissed my forehead gently. And brought me closer into an embracing hug. I closed my eyes and took in his scent. He gently kissed my neck. He then cupped my face in his hands and kissed me deeply. He then backed away enough to talk to me.

"Novah. I love you so much. I am so sorry for this" Ulfric said with sadness.

"I love you too but what are you sorry about?" I replied confused. He then let go of me and looked up to the night sky.

"Ulfric?" I asked in confusion.

"Novah. I am so sorry. There is a war in Cyrodiil. The Aldemeri dominion plan on taking over. I must go and fight. " Ulfric replied still not looking at me. My heart then broke to pieces.

"No. You cannot. You mustn't." I said with tears streaming out of my eyes.

"I-" Ulfric started but I interrupted.

"No! You can't. Please. Don't leave me." I sobbed.

"Novah, I cannot deny the fire in my heart. I must go. It is the sacred duty of Nords and Imperials to fight for Tamriel. " Ulfric stated sadly. I then fell to my knees with tears  falling to the grass. Ulfric bent to my level and put his hand on my face. He then used his thumb to wipe away my tears.

"I promise to you, I will come back for you. " Ulfric whispered.  My heart was broken but my spirit lifted. Ulfric never broke a promise.

"Then I trust your promise. Just please come back in one piece. " I replied. He then kissed me on the forehead.

" I promise. Goodbye my love." Ulfric said after he kissed me one last time. He then turned from me. He gave me a sympathetic look. He then turned and left my sight. I was heart broken. But I knew he would come back. I then spread my wings apart and took off to High Hrogthgar.

When I landed the Greybeards were all waiting in the courtyard.

"Novah. Where is Ulfric?" Asked Arngier.

"He left. There is a war in Cyrodiil. He's gone to fight." I said as I looked down to the ground.

"I am sorry Novah. If he uses his power of the voice in battle, he will not be allowed to return here." Arngier said sadly.

"I know" I simply responded. My heart broke into many more pieces. But I still believed in Ulfric's promise.