"There's nothing of value in there," Isla-Dove said as she turned to narrow her eyes at the girl.

Lessy Klick smiled mischeviously, pulling her hand from Isla-Dove grasp. "Of course I know that. I was just trying to see if you noticed."

"I did, and I would like my dagger back." She accepted the sheathed dagger that Lessy offered, slipping it back into her cloak before anybody noticed it. "Thank you. Where's Giles?"

Lessy shrugged. "He was born first. Not my responsibility to keep track of him."

Isla-Dove glanced around. "I can't talk long. I've got work to do."

"You always have work to do."

"Exactly."

Lessy rolled her eyes with a smile, scratching the tip of her dirt-smudged nose. Her black hair was pulled back in a frizzy bun, curly strands hanging around her face. Lessy and Giles Klick were orphans. What they'd told Isla-Dove was that their parents died when they were eight-years-old. Now, seven years later, they still managed to elude guards. The country had a low poverty number. The amount of orphans was even lower because the king had decreed many years ago that all orphaned children were to be brought to the palace where placement for temporary or permanent homes would be decided.

The country was admired by other countries for that. The people in the kingdom were happy with the rule. It brought much relief to families. There seemed to be only two people who didn't like the decision, and they were Lessy and Giles. Isla-Dove didn't understand why. They were fifteen-years-old. Still children. Yet they ran away when approached by authority.

The whole city had been alerted about them a few years ago and to keep their eyes open. At first, many people tried to catch the twins. Now, nobody bothered with them when they saw them on the streets. Nobody except guards.

"Hey there, Isla-D."

Isla-Dove smiled as Giles jumped down from a shop balcony. What he was doing up there, she wasn't even going to ask. The owner didn't seem to notice as she engaged in conversation with her hungry customers.

"Since both of you are here-"

"The answer is still no," Lessy said, crossing her arms. "We are not going to the palace for placement. We are content living on the streets."

"Are you sure?"

"We're sure, just like the dozens of other times that you've asked," Giles answered.

"Call it payback for the dozens of times you two keep attempting to pick my pockets."

"That's for fun. We wouldn't actually keep anything if you didn't notice." The knowing tease in Giles electric blue eyes suggested otherwise. As much as she wanted to, Isla-Dove didn't fully trust him or his sister.

The twins were a sight to behold. Sometimes Isla-Dove had a hard time not envisioning them being royalty. The tattered clothes didn't suit them. They deserved outfits that matched the attractiveness they already possessed.

"Well, it was nice seeing you," Isla-Dove said, beginning to move forward. "It's been a while."

"Yeah." The twins exchanged a look before following after her. "We've been exploring the forest a lot recently so we haven't been in the city."

"You haven't happened to see the last unicorn while in there, have you?"

Lessy gave a small snort. "I wish. That would be amazing."

"Does the forest still glow at night?"

"Have you not looked out your window recently?" Giles laughed.