Chapter One

Ok, I don't own Tortall or the others belonging to Tamora Pierce. I do own Anarien, Maren and their families though and this story is all my own. I worked hard on it for a  long time through NaNoWriMo and much beyond and planning it for months. I hope you enjoy it.

Chapter One

  Anarien slammed a drawer closed and jerked open the next drawer. She had thought that she had put her swimsuit cover up in her bag but it wasn't there when she had checked and decided a that she must have left it on the bed earlier. Then she had brought up her clean clothes and set them on her bed until she could sort them. When she had, everything put away she had packed her bag for the beach and then left to go get a shower. Her twin brothers Kyle and Liam where coming down to visit from school where they were in their second year of their PHDs. And Veronica had taken the weekend off work for the trip and Garret was already finished with his work for the week and was loading the car. Veronica lived at home and Garret was always there even though he had his own apartment with his wife. The twins lived at school but they always came home on breaks and sometimes in between them if they could get away. Anarien also had the weekend off too and they were going to meet up with the rest of the family before they left for the beach.

Finally, in the next drawer her hand touched the familiar fabric and she quickly tugged it out. "Finally," She muttered and then grabbing her extra sunscreen from her bedside table. and ran down the stairs. She found her Mom and Dad in the kitchen where they had just finished packing the cooler. "Do you really need a third sunscreen"? Her mom asked raising an eyebrow. Ana just shrugged and grabbed the sunscreen out of the cabinet by the door and shoved it into her bag with the other two. Garret came in and grabbed the cooler and ruffled her hair as he passed "More sunscreen, Ana?" He laughed at her scowl and smoothed her dark hair back down. it was now stickling up everywhere. Veronica bounced in her red hair swinging in its high pony tail. "I'm ready!" She pulled her huge suitcase behind her and then handed it off to Garret who just stared at it in surprise.

"What is this?! You know that we are only going to be gone for 48 hours, right?" Veronica huffed and flipped her hair again. "I know! But I had to make sure I pack stuff for all of my siblings for when we go to Brian's Yacht party." Quickly Garret and Anarien exchanged a look.

"What party?" They asked at the same time. Veronica laughed and bounced over and threw both of her arms around the two of them. "Come on

guys it will be fun! I even got Kyle and Liam to agree to go with us! Garret groaned "you told them you would make them cookies, didn't you?"

She laughed "Well, maybe... Ok fine. Yes, I did" But I'll give some to you too." Anarien perked up "Can I have some too? Garret looked at her shock on his face "Traitor" Ana gave him an innocent look "What she made Gingersnaps." Garret straightened up "OK, I'll go too." Veronica laughed and look over at her parents. "See Dad, I won't be going alone anymore. I'll have a lot of people to keep an eye on me." He sighed and shook his head "Ok, Fine, you can go too." Veronica jumped up and cheered. "But you have to be back to the hotel by 2 am" their mom chimed in. Veronica started to deflate and then stopped and laughed "Ok, deal. The party is over at 1 anyway and Brain must help his Dad at the shop anyway". Ana laughed and shook her head. The fact that her sister's longtime boyfriend was preparing to take over a multi-million-dollar business and called the 15 story build the 'Shop' never failed to make her laugh. It was something of a fairy story the relationship between the two. Brain adored Veronica. And enjoyed hanging out with the siblings too.

Ana shook her head and grinned at her Dad. What Veronica didn't know is that Brain had called her last week and invited her and asked her parents a special question. The party was going, to be the place he proposed. Anarien, her parents: Michael and Josie, and the younger twin Liam were all in on it. Liam was