Quaker 41

Kathryn's Point of View:

His speech is one of the best I've heard. I can't help feeling the pride of seeing him triumphantly achieving his goals.

"But before I go, please allow me to deliver another speech."

After hearing his line, I felt the sudden rush of my heartbeats.

"This is to the woman who has become the reason of all my triumphs. Four years ago, I was emotionally crippled."

Lalong lumakas 'yong tibok ng puso ko. Alam ko, kahit walang magsasabi sa'kin, I was the reason of his fall. And here he is thanking the woman who saved him from me.

"I haven't envisaged all of this to happen because all those years, I only wanted to end my life. I was so broken to the extent that I closed my egress to the people who wanted to mend me. However, behind my closed door is a woman who never left. Despite me shoving her away, she remained. It was when she almost gave up her life for me that made me realized all her sacrifices. That night, it wasn't just a woman I was seeing; right there I see THE WOMAN I'm spending my whole life with."

I knew this. I can't listen to him anymore. I tried to walk away but my feet seemed to be glued to where I'm standing.

"My past may haunt me but I can never be broken again because she is with me. She is the strength I can't lose. Sabrina Lewis Williams, these are all for you. You may not have heard it from me but I love you."

I reached for my chest. It's constricting. I died for seconds when I see the loop on the VTR behind him displaying the animated words WILL YOU MARRY ME.

"SAB, WILL YOU MARRY ME?"

A woman from the pews stood up and ran towards him. Seeing her embracing him, I feel the twinge of shafting pain piercing my heart. The picture of them slowly tortures me.

My knees are shivering. I can't watch this at all. With all my best, I stormed out of the hall. All I see now is my shadow following me running to nowhere. I can't stop. I can't stop. Literally, I feel dying.

With no more strength to carry on, I halted to catch my breath. Ngayon alam ko na kung bakit siya umalis ng gabing 'yon. Ngayon naiintindihan ko na kung gaano kasakit sa kanya ang ginawa kong desisyon. Ang sakit-sakit pala.

I hugged myself and only listened to the caller tone of my phone. But I don't have the power to answer it.

Kailangan bang maabutan ko 'yon? Pwede namang tapos na 'yon nang dumating kami? Bakit ba ako tinutukso ng tadhana? Bakit ba hindi pwedeng maging masaya nalang ako?

But how can you be happy if you have freed your happiness? Tinalikuran ko ang kaligayahan ko, kaya sino ako para maging masaya?