Chapter 2 - Air Horns and Coffee Stains

Start from the beginning

“Dad had one in the garage,” Brody grinned, as if he had just won the lottery.

“I haven’t forgiven you, you know,” I warned. “You better watch out. There’s nothing I do better than revenge.”

“Be nice to your brother,” Mom warned.

“Says the woman behind it all! How would you feel if I woke you up like that?”

“If I thought you could actually be up before me, I might be worried, but that isn’t really realistic,” Mom retorted and I couldn’t help but agree.

I downed my coffee and took another scone with me upstairs. When I looked in my closet I was confronted with the fact how incredibly low stock I was on everything. I eyed the dirty pile of clothing in the corner of my room with defeat and took some of it and threw it in the washer before settling for a pair of denim shorts and a white tshirt with a blue smurf on it.

“It’ll have to do,” I sighed in defeat and slipped on a pair of white converse before spending a few minutes in the bathroom, making myself presentable.

I double-checked that I had everything I needed with me before bounding down the stairs.

“That’s cute,” mom complimented and snickered slightly at my shirt.

“Don’t start. I already put some clothes in the washer. Where’s dad’s phone?”

She handed the black cased iPhone over to me and I pocketed it.

“Anything else?” I inquired.

She held up the keys in front of me, put pulled them out of my reach when I tried to grab them. “Drive safely,” she instructed.

“Yeah yeah, I promise,” I said and she reluctantly handed me the keys to the BMW.

I think it might have been because this would be the last summer I’d be home that made her cut me some slack, or maybe I somehow had climbed higher on the affection list this past year. Whatever the reason I wasn’t going to question it and get my newly found privileges revoked.

I walked into the garage where the shiny black BMW stood waiting for me, the top already down. I squealed slightly with joy before unlocking it and getting inside. I backed up into the driveway and stopped for a moment only to hook my iPhone up to the stereo and put on my playlist before driving off towards UCLA Medical Center.

I left my hair loose and let it flow freely in the wind while singing along to the music. It was moments like this that I could pretend to be carefree and happy, although I could rarely fool myself for long.

The last two months had been uneventful and hard, my sole goal being to be done with high school so that I could escape Gabriel altogether. He might have been a douche, but I still loved him. Last summer we had gone together on a vacation to Miami, this year I had nothing planned and it was the first time that the prospect of a summer holiday had looked so glum.

I parked in the area reserved for the people who worked in the hospital and put the roof up before locking the car before behind me.

I went to the front desk where a girl I hadn’t seen before was working. She looked young, early twenties maybe and she was wearing a badge that said, “temp”.

“Hey,” I smiled when she looked up. “Do you know where I can find Dr. Reynolds?”

“Do you have an appointment?” She inquired.

“I’m his daughter. He left something at home,” I explained.

“You can leave it here if you like and I can have someone deliver it to him,” she offered.