The girl did not move, but instead looked cautiously behind her. Only did she release Hiccup when the baby Gronckles were waddling away with their mother.

The girl's icy glare surprised the boy, her eyes boring into his own.

Hiccup didn't have any time to react as her fist flew towards him, brutally digging into his stomach. She then jumped off of him, making sure to hover nearby.

"What are you doing here?" She hissed, her shadow casting over his groaning figure. She made sure to stay quiet, as to not disturb the dragons. "Are you here to hurt the dragons? Because I'll—"

"What? No!" Hiccup moaned, the pain slowly subsiding. He staggered to his feet, taking a few moments to overcome the urge to vomit. The girl's shoulders relaxed slightly, and she titled her head.

"Then why are you here? How'd you even find this place?" She repeated her first question, like a broken record. Hiccup shrugged, rubbing his neck in a sheepish manner.

"I–It's a long story," he responded. She grunted in an understanding manner.

"You don't look like much of a threat anyway," she mumbled, walking away.

"Wha– Wait! What's your name?" Hiccup called, scrambling after her.

"Maxine," she replied from over her shoulder, her voice now much softer, like velvet.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, letting the question fly once more.

"I live here."

"What?"

Maxine finally stopped walking, the two pausing in the dead center of the stranded mass of land.

"This is my home. 358 days I live alone, the other 7 I spend doing all I can for the dragons," Maxine explained. "It gets lonely, but it's always worth it."

"You must get pretty attached to the dragons."

"Sure, but they always come back the next year. After all, who would want to leave this," Maxine joked, gesturing to her ratty, singed, and scorched clothes.

Hiccup smiled, playing along. "No idea. You're like dragon nip."

The two laughed softly. Hiccup couldn't help but notice the girl was a completely different person was she warmed up to you, which was fairly quick.

The teens quieted down, Hiccup remembering the reason he was here.

"Have you happened to spot a, uh... Night Fury?"

"Yeah," Maxine immediately confirmed, making Hiccup's eyes dazzle. "Five years ago."

"Oh," the boy sighed, looking down.

"And it's too bad, cause Night Furies were really peaceful dragons. I miss them," the girl added. "Why are you looking for one anyway?"

Hiccup put aside the fact that Maxine seemed to know a lot about the species, and eased her suspicions.

"Uh... Toothless, he's my best friend. And a Night Fury."

"Sorry," Maxine mumbled, empathy showing through her eyes.

"He'll turn up," Hiccup convinced himself.

"Sooooo," Maxine chuckled nervously, trying to distract him, "How was your da—"

The lonely viking was interrupted by a red Monstrous Nightmare bounding up, making both Hiccup and Maxine smile.

"Oh, hey... Hookfang," Hiccup greeted. He seemed to brighten up even more with a sudden notion. "Hey, you wanna go home?"

"What." Maxine's voice rose in pitch, alarmed by the proposition. "But you haven't been here for long."

"Well– I was just..."

Hiccup trailed off, not making eye contact with Maxine.

"You were just...?"

"I was thinking I could take the dragons back to Berk," Hiccup informed nervously.

"The hatchlings aren't even developed enough, they won't be able to fly for another few days," she tried reasoning.

Hiccup stood thinking for another few short-lived moments, instantly hatching another plan.

Maxine simply gaped as Hiccup jumped on Hookfang, flying away with a promise to be back.