xi

Dave and I came in the shop later in the afternoon on the 23rd of December. Dave created his specialty drinks and put out the food, I took care of everything none-consumption related.

"Oh, yes, 'tis the season!" Dave sang as he finished up his drinks. "Peppermint Oreo Jell-O shots! Ronnie, am I a genius or am I a genius?!"

I smirked, continuing to set up the music playlist, "you're a genius, Dave."

Dave strutted over to me and leaned over my shoulder. "What's on it this year? You got any songs you'd make out with Brandon to?"

"Shut the fuck up," I laughed, shaking my head.

"You're like this now, but you're gonna think of me when you shove your tongue down Brandon's throat to 'All I Want For Christmas Is You'."

"We're not going to make out, Dave."

"And I'm not gonna grind with the hot hair stylist down the street. Don't lie, it's Christmas."

"I don't think Christmas is exactly the time of year for a guy to hook up with a guy."

"Well -- I mean, technically it's not yet Christmas."

"It's close enough."

"Man, do you even want to make out with, Brandon? Ever?"

"I mean, yes, of course, but I really don't want to drag him into an uncomfortable situation tonight."

"You want him to make the move? Jesus, Ronald, you're such a teenage girl."

Dave just didn't understand. He really thought I was on the same level as Brandon. Maybe he was just hopeful for me -- anyone who looked at me and then Brandon and thought we were in the same league was delusional.

I checked on the lights, making sure the place was lighted to portray the right mood. Festive and exciting. Dave began organizing his drinks so that none of them were ignored. He also put out some beers and soda. I placed some snacks around for good measure, then tested the karaoke machine.

God forbid I get drunk and do karaoke in front of Brandon, I thought after testing it, putting it back in its right place. We moved the tables and cleared up some space for people. Our little coffee shop slowly became a coffee -- club.

People started showing up at around 7:15. Mostly people from the businesses surrounding us. I started playing my music playlist when more than ten people showed up. Typically it isn't until Dave's friends show up that the party stops looking like a hipster gathering. They showed up at eight, and by then I was anxious that Brandon wasn't going to show up.

I sat at the counter, periodically checking my phone just in case Brandon called or texted me. By 8:15 I had given up hope, it seemed clear that Brandon wasn't going to show.

Dave sat next to me, noticing my blue state. "Hey man, you alright?" He asked, wrapping an arm around me.

"Brandon didn't show," I sighed. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from tearing up.

"Shit, man, you don't need him anyway, there's tons of people out here."

But I want Brandon, I thought, and it almost shattered my heart. I buried my head in my hands and tried my damnedest not to start crying.

"Hey, hey, it's okay, it's Christmas, let's be happy," Dave tried comforting me, patting my back.

"I'm a fucking idiot, Dave, aren't I?" I managed to shutter out.