x

The morning after Brandon and I's phone conversation, I found him sitting on the bench outside the shop. "Wow, early than me, impressive," I commented as I took out my keys.

"Yeah, and it's cold, you should make me two hot chocolates for this," he shivered, shoving his hands into the pockets of the hoodie he was wearing.

"Okay, but I'll be drinking the second one." I opened the door and held it open for Brandon. He scurried in, I smiled and followed after him. I walked behind the counter as he picked a table to sit out.

"We're all alone, huh?" Brandon spoke as I began making the two hot chocolates.

"Yeah, Dave's probably not going to get here in the next 30 minutes." Christ. It sounded like we were going to fuck right on top of the coffee machine.

I finished the two drinks and went to the table, "sorry if it's not as good, Dave's the best at making the drinks," I said putting the two cups down. I sat and watched Brandon take a sip of it.

"Still good," he smiled.

I smiled back, still completely aware that we were alone in a big coffee shop and completely aware that if we were a couple, we would already be making out on top of the table, screw the chocolate.

"Can I get my hug now?" He pouted.

I couldn't believe I almost forgot. "Of course!" I exclaimed too eagerly.

He stood up and stretched his arms out. I quickly shot out of my seat before my heart could melt and kill me. I practically fell into his arms and wrapped mine around his waist. It was so surreal to feel so many tiny details of him. The way his stubble prickled my neck, the curve of his back against my arms, the feel of his chest against mine, each time I breathed in, I inhaled his scent -- I felt as though the weight of his arms around my neck was what kept me from floating.

I felt him bury his face into the crook of my shoulder and nuzzle me. At that point, it dawned on me that friends didn't hug each other like we did. He wasn't pulling a single part of himself away and neither was I. I felt whole hugging Brandon, which wasn't a feeling I got hugging Dave, an actual friend.

"You're very warm," he muttered into my shoulder.

"You give good hugs," I decided to say.

We let go of each other and I felt imbalanced immediately after. We sat back down and drank our hot chocolate and I pretended as if our hug didn't change my life.

Eventually, Dave burst in. "Ronnie, why is there a customer before opening hours?"

"He's not a customer," I was looking directly at Brandon, "he's our friend." I glanced at Dave who rolled his eyes.

"Okay, Brandon, but just because you're our friend doesn't mean you get free drinks -- Ronnie did he pay for that?"

"Uh..."

"For God's sake, I knew you were whipped, but I didn't think you were this whipped."

Blushing, I glanced between Brandon and Dave. "I-I'll pay for it," I stuttered in defeat.

"No need," Dave replied with a growing smirk. "You just did."

Brandon was also smirking at me and at that point I wanted to turn myself in coffee grounds.

Dave fiddled around with some things around the counter and spoke again, I was terrified that he would try to expose me again. "Well, Brandon, because you are our friend, I suppose you'd like to come to our Christmas party?"

I quickly shot my gaze to Brandon. "Totally," Brandon nodded, "give me the info."

"December 23rd, seven o'clock, here at this coffee shop."

"This better be a good party, Ronnie," Brandon said towards me.

"It will! Dave makes his specialty drinks, lots of music, people and lights! Fun times."

"I'll be there."

I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from showing my great excitement. I could picture the Christmas party in my mind at that moment. The main lights shut off, only the Christmas lights on. I glanced at Brandon and thought of the sight he must be under the dimmer glow of the Christmas lights. I'd probably explode.

"Fantastic. I should probably buy more mistletoe -- hmm, Ronnie, have you seen my mistletoe on a stick? I forgot what function it had." Dave hummed. I looked up to see that he was actually wiggling his eyebrows at me. I gave him a look that hopefully said, "you hang that thing over Brandon and me and I'll shove it up your asshole."

Brandon laughed, "you have one of those?"

"Yes, it's a hoot dangling it above drunken people, it's almost like playing God."

Note to self, don't get drunk, Dave will play God on you and your soft friend-crush. "That's why we don't have any friends, he creates drama between us all and no one knows what he's done," I scoffed.

"That's amazing," Brandon giggled.

"It's not amazing if he dangles it above your boyfriend and your best friend and they start tongue kissing like they were going to die if they didn't," I grumbled.

Brandon's eyes widened, "that happened?" His eyes shifted between Dave and me.

"In my defense, that was the last time I whipped it out," Dave chuckled awkwardly.

"It was not a fun year," I sighed.

Brandon looked sincerely apologetic. "Gosh, Ron, I'm so sorry."

It's okay because if it didn't happen I wouldn't allow myself to be floored by you. "He was awful in bed anyway," I deadpanned.

Brandon looked away and quietly giggled to himself. I would be a liar if I said I didn't want to scoop him up and keep him safe forever. 

"I'll be more careful this year," Dave claimed. "I will only go for people who won't conflict the earth." 

I knew he was going to put it above Brandon and I. Even if he were to never admit it out loud to me, he was going to do it. A large part of me would rather be run over by a bus than have Dave dictate a kiss between Brandon and me. I also knew I wouldn't be able to do it myself.

(The playlist for this fic is in the external link or here: https://open.spotify.com/user/thrixowatt/playlist/55wT77FFVnxmYxg2j7vumt -- it includes songs that I listened to writing this and songs that inspired this)