xvi

Hanamiya wondered what was going in [Last Name]'s head. All throughout school today she was quiet. She hadn't even bothered him, which was the first time since he met her. It kind of bothered him, but at the same time, he couldn't pinpoint why.

"Makoto," his mom, Mikasa, said, frowning, "are you okay?"

He nodded with a sigh. "It's nothing."

"Is it about [Last Name]-chan?"

He grunted. How did she always know what he was thinking?

"What happened?"

He shrugged. "She didn't say, but she acted unusual today."

"Unusual how?" Mikasa asked, turning off the television and repositioning herself on the couch to give him her full attention.

"She just... left me alone. She always bothers me, and rambles to me about anything and everything. She was too quiet, and she looked like she was lost in her thoughts."

"Quite the analysis you have there for a girl you claim to not like," she teased with a soft smile when he sent her a glare, "But Makoto, sometimes people have bad days. Today was that bad day for [Last Name]-chan."

Hanamiya said nothing for a while, trying to gather his thoughts on the whole thing. "It was just weird."

Mikasa placed a hand a hand on his head to ruffle his hair. "I know, honey, but she'll be okay. Without bad days, how can we have good days?"

He didn't know how to reply to that.