🔥Prologue🔥

The room was dark with the flickering candles scattered along the eerie walls providing the only light. The small flames reflected across the room, making it seem as if the light itself was trying to find an escape through the ceiling. Only a highly damned place could provide fire a need for escape because fire cannot fear. It blazes trails and tears things down in its path, but for the devil and his minions, it was a tool used to capture the souls of innocent men.

Once the souls were captured, they were locked away into a lake that burned with a temperature only a soul already dead could handle. A temperature that was so hot it would singe the hair right off of a human's arm if they were miles away. Here, however, the fire was a home for many. A home that wasn't just for the lost souls damned to the Lake, but a home to the devil and his fallen angels.

The purpose of these devils was to rule the Underworld. Rule it with ruthless hatred, malice, anger, and a burning rage that made the dark dwellings bearable. Only an angel already damned could stand to abide in such a place filled with nightmares of all kinds. However, the biggest nightmare hadn't started yet, for this nightmare was about to come true for a certain soul living on the earth. Everything in this person's life was going to change.

This soul was a girl. A girl with an addiction, a girl with a dark past, a girl with far too many men in her bed, and a girl that the very devil himself was after. There was something about her, and he couldn't understand why he was so drawn to her. He mistook this force as a need to damn her soul to the hell beneath the very dark room our story starts in. However, it was not a need to damn her, it was a need to know her, a need to hold her, a need to protect her, and a need to keep her. But how would the devil understand that? All he knew was pain, anguish, and damnation . . . and that was what he wanted to give her. He mistook his feelings for darkness, and that was why he desired to place his darkness upon her because he couldn't understand the light he felt.

"How long have you been tricking her?" Satan inquired his son, as he sat in the corner of the dark room on his hellish throne. A ring abode on his finger, and the light from the flickering candles reflected against the ruby gem and shone into his son's eyes.

"Two years," the young devil responded, almost proud of having worked so long on one soul.

"You are not supposed to interact with the mortals, unless you're trying to break them, damn them to hell." Satan stood up off of his throne and walked toward his favorite son. "Do you want her to be broken, damned with an eternity of pain? Do you want her crying out for mercy with no relief, while fire gnashes through her pale skin?"

"Do you want me to answer that?" His son questioned, unsure if his father wanted to hear the truth. He, himself, wasn't even aware of the truth. He had no desire to damn her, he had a desire—a real human desire for her to be his—but he lacked the capacity to understand this feeling. After all, he wasn't supposed to have feelings. Not even for the blue-eyed broken woman he was drawn to since he first saw her.

"If I didn't, I wouldn't have asked you," Satan annoyingly responded.

"Then, yes," the devil replied after a moment of pondering what his father had asked.

"Why?" Satan asked, the annoyance suddenly gone, only to be replaced with amusement.

"Pain. Pain makes a soul mad. It drives them to do unspeakable things just so they can get out of their torment. I want to see her broken from pain, writhing within herself as she tries to escape. Only, there's no escape down here for damned souls. She'll never be able to escape, locked in a labyrinth of pain and suffering. I want to see her blue eyes shining with fear while knowing it was me that had placed her in the fire." Once the young devil was through with explaining, he couldn't help the smile that crept upon his lips at the sadistic thoughts streaming through his mind. He was born sickened with pain, but he would soon learn to control this desire once the girl was officially his. He just wouldn't be aware of it until it was too late.

"Son," his father began, "you are a devil."

"Not a devil, father, the devil."