Ch. 18 Say Something

Start from the beginning

“I just…I don’t think it’s gonna work out after all,” I tell him and he squints his eyes at me.

“I thought you were in love with him?”

“I am, but sometimes things just weren’t meant to be,” I sigh feeling so much older than I actually am.

“Things are what you make them, don’t buy into that fate bullshit,” Wes tells me with an eye roll. I stare at him for a moment and then smile.

“Thanks, Wes. That was actually…helpful,” I say.

“Don’t seem so surprised. I can be deep when I wanna be,” he tells me and I laugh. There’s one word I never would have thought would apply to Wesley. He’s as shallow as a shower most days. But he has his moments.

“Sure you can, Wes.” I pat him on the arm before walking away.

After this I sort of drift aimlessly throughout the house looking for something to do. I guess I could go outside and actually enjoy the beach, which I haven’t even really done that much this summer. Although, going out alone doesn’t seem all that fun. A day ago I would have called Maya to go with me, but obviously that’s not an option any longer. I haven’t really let myself dwell on her betrayal because honestly I just can’t take it. This is why I don’t have any friends that are girls! Okay, maybe that’s not actually why, but it sounded good.

Just as I decide to push her out of my head and out of my life once and for all I get a text from her. It doesn’t say much except that she wants to meet me on the boardwalk. My first response is no way. Why should I waste any more time with her? She went behind my back and stole Dace from me and now she wants to act like nothing happened? Although, I guess I never really had Dace to begin with. And she doesn’t exactly know that I know. Dace saw me last night, but she was facing away and wouldn’t have noticed me there. The question is do I call her on it or just ignore her until we leave and I never have to see her again? I guess if I’m really done running away from my problems like I told myself then there is really only one thing to do.

I send a short reply telling her I’ll be there soon. I stall for awhile before finally heading up. Maybe it’s spite, but I do get some satisfaction out of making her wait for me. When I find her she is sweating and her face is red from standing in the sun.

“What took you so long? I’m gonna be totally sunburned!” she exclaims. Is it bad that I sort of want to laugh evilly at this? Somehow I don’t think she would find it as amusing.

“Oh, I’m so sorry,” I reply, sarcasm dripping from the words. She gives me a sharp look, noticing the attitude, but not entirely sure what it’s for just yet.

“Are you alright? You seem…different,” she says, looking uncertain.

“I was just wondering if there’s anything you want to tell me?” I ask. A quick look of something that looks a lot like guilt flashes across her face before she replaces it with a mask of indifference.

“Like what?” she asks with a little flip of her hair.

“Like the fact that you were making out with Dace last night?” I suggest. A slight intake of breath and widened eyes is her only reaction.

“He told you?” she demands and I notice her glance around nervously.

“I saw,” I tell her flatly.

“Oh, well um…it just sort of happened, Ivy! I mean, I came over cause I needed to talk to you and he was sitting on the porch and well….it just happened!” she says.

“You just happened to kiss the boy I’m in love with? Out of all the boys around here and you choose him? I know I’m no expert on friendships, but that definitely seems like something a friend wouldn’t do! God, Maya, what were you thinking?” I snap and my anger causes her to get defensive. I can tell by the defiant look on her face.