Quiet

Lin snuggled into bed. Vanessa was already lying there. Lin pulled his arm around her: 'V, sweetheart, can we talk?'
Vanessa turned around sleepily: '¿Qué està?'
'Well,' Lin said, 'You know Pippa and I went to the Graham Windham today?'
'Yes?' Vanessa sat up in bed now, concerned. 'What happened?'
'Nothing! I was just really impressed with their stories. Pippa was too, she kept talking about it all the way back to the theatre. The things they said about what can go wrong in the foster care system. And don't know much, but those children really deserve a loving family, I know that. They've already been through so much. I mean, their parents have either died or given them up. Both is horrible! They just deserve love and a future and think that we can give that to at least one of them.'
Vanessa smiled and patiently waited until Lin was done with his ranting. He's so cute when he gets so passionate, she thought, I truly married a five year old. As Lin stopped talking she said: 'Lin, what are you trying to say?'
Lin took a deep breath as he realised Vanessa didn't understand him. 'I am trying to say, no, I'm trying to ásk you: could we maybe adopt or foster a kid?'
'What?!' Vanessa chuckled a little. 'Lin, we already have a baby, you're playing in a musical, I am a lawyer. We don't have time for another kid.'
Sebastian started crying in his room. Lin sighed: 'When you speak of the devil... I'll get him.'

When Lin had put Sebastian in bed again, he sat down beside Vanessa. 'And? What do you think?' he asked.
'I don't think it's a good idea,' Vanessa said slowly. She smiled at Lin's disappointed face. 'Is it really thát important to you?'
Lin immediately nodded: 'Yes! V, it won't be thát hard! Hamilton is almost closing, and after that, I'll work at home. Sure, I'll have to work hard, but I'll be home. And for you, you'll be able to do it: I'm sure! We could foster a kid. That's temporary!'
'Okay,' Vanessa said, 'If it's that important to you, we'll do it.'

The next morning, Lin woke up to the smell of coffee. Still tired, he walked into the kitchen. Vanessa was already awake, sitting there with a cup of coffee, her laptop, and lots of papers spread out on the table.
'Morning,' Lin grumbled.
'Good morning,' Vanessa answered, 'Your coffee is on the counter.'
Lin grabbed his coffee and sat down beside Vanessa. 'Are you working?
'No,' Vanessa answered, and shove a piece of paper towards him: Foster Parent Qualifications. 'You want to foster a kid, right? Well, here you go.'
'Ugh,' Lin sighed, 'All the paperwork.'
'You need to have a flexible schedule. Do we have that?' Vanessa asked, while looking through a paper.
'Good enough,' Lin said, 'When Hamilton closes surely.'
It stayed silent for a while, until Lin read out loud: '"A fosterkid needs to have an own bed" What do they think we'd do? Let the kid sleep on the floor?'
Vanessa laughed: 'No. They mean that foster siblings aren't allowed to share beds.'
'V,' Lin said, 'I think we can do this.'
'Okay,' Vanessa said, 'Then we need to fill in a thousand forms and go on six interviews to be able to do this.'

'Do we want a boy or a girl?' Vanessa was filling in a form.
'Doesn't matter,' Lin said.
'Okay,' Vanessa wrote down the answer. 'Age?'
'Doesn't matter.'
'Are we okay with fostering a child that has been abused in the past?'
'Yes.'
'Are we okay with fostering a child that has lost close family?'
'Are we okay with fostering a child with traumatic experiences?'
'Yes.'
'Are we okay with fostering a troubled kid?'
'Yes.'
Vanessa put down her pen. 'What kind of questions are this? Of course we're okay with this! Otherwise we wouldn't want to become foster parents right?!'
Lin shrugged: 'I don't know, maybe they want to test us.'
'Okay,' Vanessa sighed, 'Next question.'