"Okay," Talin said, looking away from the girl. "We will go with your father." She cleared her throat. "With Vincent." Her eyes glanced back to Brielle, and this time, a command was behind them. "I will never trust that man, and since I'm not fully sure where your loyalty lies, you need to stick with me. One wrong move and I kill you. Clear?"

Brielle's eyes brightened. She didn't seem to register the part where Talin was threatening to kill her. "I won't do anything to get in your way," she swore.

Vincent and his men perked-up when they saw the two girls heading back to the middle of the rocks where they can see them. "Have you made a decision?" he said.

"What will you do if we disagree?" Talin said, knife at the ready.

Vincent shrugged. "Nothing. I know you'll come with me. Irrational as you are sometimes, you know the stakes behind this. Harming me won't undo anything."

Talin's eyes closed. The man played his cards well. "Okay," she said, lids snapping open. "We'll come with you." She nudged her head to Brielle. "But she stays with me."

"Fine. Be my guest." He lifted two fingers and gestured to his men. All of them dispersed at once.

Military trucks that were the same color as the sand on the desert were idle and ready for them when they came to the other side of the rocky area. The Enclave was far away now, almost blocked off by the stones.

"We have to hurry," Vincent said, his strides complementing his haste. "It won't be long before my mother senses that something is off, and I want to be as far away from here as possible. Give or take, we'll have a day between us."

Talin watched the guards front and back from them. They were more than twenty at least, all armed to the teeth. "Who are these men?" she asked. "I do not recognize any of them from the usual entourage."

Vincent waved his hand dismissively. "They're from all over the place. They're easy to come by if you have money. You encountered one back there." He jutted his thumb back to the rocky area.

"Guns for hire?" Brielle said, curiously looking as well. She flinched when Talin glanced back at her. "Sorry. You didn't instruct me to stay quiet."

Vincent smirked. "That's my daughter for you," he said. Both Talin and Brielle glowered. "The journey will take more than twelve hours. I suggest you catch some rest at the back of the truck while at it. You won't be refrained from doing anything. If you're hungry or need to empty your bladder, just knock on the divider for the driver, and he'll coordinate with us."

"Like hell I'll sleep through this," Talin murmured.

Two guards opened the back of the truck when they approached. "That's yours," Vincent said. He pointed to another vehicle beside theirs. "I'll be there."

Talin wasn't comfortable with this arrangement, but Brielle had other things on her mind. She was the first to enter the truck with an easy smile, like they were going on an adventure rather than a potential slaughterhouse. How the girl could act like this was beyond the defender.

"Update me every two hours," Talin said to Vincent, her back to the truck.

Vincent smoothed his hair. "Impossible. I'll be asleep."

"Two hours," Talin repeated firmly. She turned around and stepped on the platform that would take her to the truck. Behind her, Vincent's glasses glimmered before the door closed.

*******************************

Three hours later and all was quiet- everything beside the engine of the vehicle and the rush of blood on her ears. The temperature outside had dropped to a negative. She could tell because even with a single bulb on the truck's ceiling, the metal walls were pronounced due to the developing frost. But Talin was pretty warm. Brielle had made sure of that. The moment the truck had moved, the girl had snuggled to Talin like a blanket, and had fallen asleep on her chest. She was trapped.