Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Brielle's aptitude for waking up early wasn't what made her eyes open the next day. It was her stomach rumbling. She and Talin hadn't eaten all day yesterday. HHer stomach gnawed at her, caving from inside out, begging to be filled.

A plan began to formulate. She could make a nice, hearty meal for them, using the stove, not the firewood. After serving the defender her share of the food, Brielle would ask for a blank slate, an opportunity for a new beginning. The two of them assumed things. It was about time to forgive and move on, for the sake of surviving.

Talin wasn't in the kitchen when Brielle got there, neither was she in the connecting bathroom tucked in the barely noticeable section in the corner. That would only leave the living room. There was nowhere else to go.

Surprisingly, even that was empty. There was no sign of her.

Brielle scanned the room, searching for hidden spaces where the defender could have squeezed herself. Did Talin hate her so that sleeping on the floor was a better alternative? Her heart sank. It wasn't too late to ask for a truce, was it? What would she do if Talin's mind was set?

Her eyes inevitably landed on the steel door.

Something about it was different. It shouldn't be angled that way. She drew closer to the entryway to investigate.

Her mouth opened a fraction when she got nearer. The door was unlocked, ajar. She was free to go.

Her hand paused a fingerbreadth from the contraption.

Hold on. What if this was a trap?

The image of Talin's piercing emerald eyes, her curled mouth, and the eagerness for Brielle's disposal came to mind. She could be on the other side of the door, waiting to strike. Brielle touched the brass handle hesitantly. Maybe she was looking too much into it again. The defender could have killed her all day yesterday and last night. Doing it today, involving a door of all things, was nothing sort of anti-climactic.

She wiggled the knob. It was intact and moved unhindered as it should, no sign of a forced exit. That only meant one thing. It was opened from the other side. Who made this possible and what was the reason? Her chest rose in a deep breath. Hanging around here wouldn't do her any good. Besides, her old friend, curiosity, was making it difficult for her to suppress the need to go out and explore. She wanted this. Needed the diversion. Brielle nodded to herself. Let's go.

Her head poked into the hallway.

Just like the last time she was there, no one was around. The walls on either side were bare of decorations. The floor and ceiling were smooth, if not for the blue lights emanating every few spaces from them. But despite the subtle glow, Brielle felt trapped in darkness. Being alone could do that to you. She glanced back to the living room behind her. Staying put could be a plausible alternative too. She could wait until Talin came back and ask what was out there, perhaps make that yummy dish she'd been salivating for while at it.

Decisions weighted on her insides. Stay and be comfortable, or go out and have a small adventure? Which was it?

Her foot inched forward, and she sighed. This was why her skin was full of scars. She was too much of an adventurer, even while it could get her hurt.

Brielle opened the door wider and stepped out to unknown territory. She was careful to swing the door quietly behind her without actually closing the thing. A code was needed to get in and out. It was better to be prepared than sorry.

She went the opposite way from where the woman from before escorted her from before, hoping to make sense of the building's layout on her own. The corridor stretched longer than she'd bargained for. It was like an infinite chain of passageways that sometimes took her to the left or right, depending on which way her gut instructed her to go. At the same time, the silence was killing her. It would have been nice if her footfalls were accompanied by music. Anything would do. She would even enjoy the elevator's jingles.