Devil's Tree

In Port Saint Lucie, FL. on canal C-24 there is a beautiful 150-year-old tree located in Oak Hammock Park that is called Devil's Tree. On January 8th, 1971, before the park was built a serial killer, known as Killer Deputy, Gerard John Schaefer captured 2 young girls while they were out hitchhiking. He bound, raped, gagged and hanged them. After this, he buried Collete Goodenough (19) and Barbara Ann Wilcox (19) at the tree. It is said that the killer came back several times to have his way with the bodies.

6 years later in January of 1977, 2 men had discovered bones sticking out of the ground along with deteriorating ropes that were tied with a hangman's noose. Since that find, there have been reports of hooded satanic worshipers that dance around the tree. Some people say that you can still hear the girls' screams.

There have been several attempts to cut down the Devil's Tree but the chainsaws refuse to work and cut down the tree when near it. All of the teeth fell out of the saw blade when they put the 2-man crosscut saw to cut it down. When they tried an axe, the axe head came off the handle and split open of the head of the chopper, killing him. The tree still stands in a small opening down the trail through the park. Locals will pass along stories of cold spots in particular areas of the park and the parks women's bathroom being haunted by the girls.

In 1992, a priest placed a cross at the base of the tree and performed an exorcism. 2 years later the cross was knocked over. One year later in 1995, Schaefer was stabbed to death in prison.

**Another Version**

At the Whispering Pines park, there is a common tale of the Devil Tree. Many years ago, two young girls were raped and hung from the tree. The murderer was your average joe, a man. Or, that's what many people thought. After their deaths, it is said that he went back to their bodies and had sex with them several more times. 

In some versions, the girl's bodies were buried near the tree, in other versions, the girls were found in the canal near the park, but the murderer was never found.

It was insisted that the tree was cut down, but each time the chainsaw would break which then meant the tree couldn't be cut down. There are reports of the tree not being able to burn down. You can even see where someone tried to burn it down but they were unsuccessful.

Many  people of Port Saint Lucie have claimed to hear the girls' screams and have even seen their ghosts. If you go out at night you will sometimes see people chanting around the tree and even hear the snap of a rope near the tree.