Chapter 1

READ, COMMENT AND VOTE

There are two Philadelphias. One of privilege... And one where opportunities are scarce. But sometimes these worlds collide through love or violence. Or both.

Jules' P.O.V
     "Nikhil..." I breath out, "come on, dance with me!"

     We are currently standing at the side of the Penn Prep High's Valentine Ball. It was decorated beautifully, with cream coloured drapes around the ballroom and the buffet table showing some delicious looking food. Most people were on the dance floor. Girls in beautiful long dresses and boys in strapping tuxedos.

     I'm with my boyfriend, Nikhil. His tuxedo fits him perfectly and his black hair is brushed back neatly, but it also messy at the same time, which suits him very well. He has the deep brown eyes, the colour of chocolate, that I could gaze, and get lost, in for hours.

     "Jules... we should talk." He whispers, rubbing the back of his neck.

Meanwhile, in North Philadelphia...

Cade's P.O.V
     "Okay. You know what to do." Brendon assured, taking a hit from his cigarette and blowing out a cloud of white smoke that vanished into the night sky. We are standing outside of a pharmacy and a few other shops. This place is filthy, but it isn't as bad as some places I'v been.

     "Let's get this over with." I muttered as I looked at him. He looked like he had just crawled up from hell, with his long black greasy hair, falling just above the bottom of his neck, black shirt with his black jeans and a denim jacket with holes in. He has had the jacket for as long as I can remember.

     "Watch that attitude, boy." He demanded, pointing his index and middle finger my way, the cigarette between his them.

     I roll my eyes and walk over to the pharmacy, I look up to the sign and notice that the a and r lights have blown up, I walk up to the window and rub on it, peering into the shop, trying to find what I'm looking for. I took a deep breath in, acting as if I haven't done this before.

Jules' P.O.V
     "Talk about what?" I questioned. When ever Nikhil wants to talk it's normally about something bad. My pulse had risen tremendously and I feel sweat forming over my body.

     "I'll be leaving for college at the end of summer and..." he starts to explain. He looked down to the ground and took a deep breath, "I can't do this anymore. I'd rather have a clean break now than drag this out."

     My hands fly up to my mouth, in shock, and I could feel the tears forming in my eyes, I know where this is going. "I hate hurting you, but... it's over." He added.

     "We're over." He turns his back to me. I could feel that this is hurting him as much as it is hurting me.

     "Nikhil..." I breath out. I don't know what to say to him. I'm in too much hurt and in too much shock to even talk to him. I feel the tears racing down my cheeks. I turn the other way and bolt, tears stinging in my eyes. I run for the doors, bumping in a few people, without saying sorry.

     "Jules!" I hear Naomi shout at me but I run right past her and ignore her.

     I finally get out the door and just run in a random direction. I don't know where I'm going but I don't care, I just need to get away from Nikhil, away from everyone. I can't let them see me like this