Scene 12: Turning the Tide

As much as Roy wanted to go after Graves, he had a feeling he would not have much to work with if he didn't know how to navigate the building that was Lex Corp.

And so, Roy made his way down the hall opposite of Graves, looking for a room which would allow him to use security cameras. Hopefully, he would be able to see what was going on in Lab 1. And maybe, just maybe, he would find something else that could give him an advantage.

***

Lab 1 was one of the largest rooms Connor had ever been inside in. When he had woken up, he had been in restraints, and there had been a sheet of glass separating him from Mercy Graves. However, when the other clone charged him, the glass easily shattered.

The clone leapt at Connor with blinding speed. By the time Connor had realized what had happened, he had been thrown into the opposite wall. Right when he was about to regain his vision, the clone had already slammed into him. Connor groaned as he was dealt blow after blow from the clone.

The closest thing Connor had had to endure in terms of punishment had been the G-Trolls back in Cadmus. And yet he had managed to beat them with little effort. But this, this went way beyond that. This was another clone of Superman, one with full Kryptonian power. Worst of all, Connor had been weakened with Kryptonite earlier. This felt like an impossible fight.

After taking several painful blows to the chest, Connor attempted to do something he hadn't done since the last fight he had been in. Just as the clone was about to throw another punch, Connor glared at the fist. Suddenly, he felt the clone release his grip on him.

When Connor looked up, he saw the clone was clutching his fist with his free hand. Connor knew then his plan had worked. He had successfully used his heat vision again.

His impressed surprise did not last, though. Before Connor could rally on his attack, the clone backhanded him hard in the face. Connor crashed into the wall again, making him groan in pain. Fortunately, he managed to dodge the clone's next strike, causing him to hit only the wall.

The clone was all set to go at Connor again, only to notice his hand was stuck in the wall. Knowing he didn't have much time, Connor tried to strike at the clone. Unfortunately, he blasted backward by the clone's own use of heat vision.

By the time Connor was able to get back up, the clone had freed himself and came back at him. Connor just barely managed to roll to one side and avoid another punch to the face. Acting quickly, Connor turned and saw a lab table behind him.

Connor didn't wait for the clone to turn around and face him again. Instead, he took his time to jump over the table and kick it into the clone's direction. However, things did not go as planned. Not only did the clone jump over the table, he hovered over Connor, his feet not touching the ground.

"You can fly?" Connor asked in surprise.

Of course the clone could fly, Connor realized. He had been made out of pure DNA from Superman. Therefore, he did not have any of the handicaps Connor had.

This revelation made Connor lose track of his situation. The next thing he knew, he was being pounded into the floor again. He tried to block the clone's punches with his arms, but it was no use. He was getting pummeled more easily than regular people crushed paper cups.

If this clone keeps this up, Connor thought, I'm going to be toast. Would be nice to have some help for a chance.

The only problem was, it didn't look like help was on the way anytime soon.

***

Roy didn't have as tough a time as he thought he would. Making his way down the hall, he heard the sound of two people in a room not too far away. It sounded like they were watching a sporting event. Could it be the security room Roy had been looking for?