Scene 2: New Partnership

"Miss Graves, the press are waiting outside."

"Very good, Alex. Let's not keep them waiting."

Ever since Lex Luthor had stepped down from his position as CEO from LexCorp, the position had been given to his former secretary. Her name was Mercy Graves, and she had been running LexCorp ever since.

Now she found herself standing in front of a large crowd, many of which had notebooks and cameras. They had all gathered for the same reason. They wanted to know more about Mercy's new partnership.

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen," said Mercy Graves. "It is my pleasure to welcome you in front of Cadmus Labs, LexCorp's new partner in genetic research."

"Miss Graves," someone asked, "What made you decide to partner with Cadmus Labs? There are plenty of genetic research labs in the world. What separates Cadmus from the others?"

Mercy had been expecting a question like this. She had an answer ready to give that question as well.

"Cadmus shares many interests with LexCorp," she replied smoothly. The way she spoke, it was easy for those listening to Mercy to believe what she was telling them. "They want to act on new scientific opportunities, the kind of opportunities which will change life for the better."

"Just what kind of opportunities are we talking here?" asked the same reporter. Mercy looked back at the report. It was no surprise who this was. In reality, she had deduced it would only be a matter of time before she took notice.

"What exactly do you mean, Miss Lane?" Mercy asked coolly.

"I mean," said Lois Lane from the Daily Planet, "what kind of opportunities do you have in store for us? Is this partnership meant to be for the benefit of the people, or is just an opportunity to increase your revenue?"

There was a small fit of chuckling from the crowd. However, Mercy allowed them to laugh it off. She was not going to let Lois make her hear the end of it. No, she was going to make the famous Lois Lane look like a fool.

"Oh, I wouldn't worry too much, Miss Lane. This collaboration with Cadmus is working hard to extend human life. We are trying to make it so people can live longer and make the most of their lives. It would be a good opportunity for you too, Miss Lane. I assure you, it could be that you live longer to add more into your savings account."

There was a loud burst of laughter at Mercy's response. Lois Lane herself was uncharacteristically silent. She had not been expecting such a comeback, and she looked very embarrassed. However, she hid it very well, being the skilled reporter that she was.

After that, it was easy to deal with the press. After another fifteen minutes of questions, none of which were voiced by Lois Lane, Mercy eventually returned to her office in LexCorp. On the whole, she found her smokescreen a success.

The press would not suspect a thing. They would be convinced that her partnership with Cadmus would be an attempt at accomplishing something so many others had failed in. This was all for the better, as it hid her true intentions.

"Miss Graves," her aide informed her, "your two o'clock is waiting in your office."

"Good," said Mercy, knowing who was waiting for her.

After dismissing her aide, Mercy returned to her office. Sure enough, a tall man was seated in front of her desk. A brown trench coat and matching fedora were hanging up on a coat hanger.

"You know," Mercy commented coolly, "I don't think this kind of hat suits you, Lex."

Lex Luthor stood and shook Mercy's hand, a knowing smile on his face. "Ah, but you know how it is, Mercy. As a fugitive of the government, I can't allow to have my face seen. Especially a building that has name on the front door."

A year ago, Lex Luthor had been held in prison for plotting hostile takeover of the government, which had inadvertently been ruined by the untimely arrival of the alien girl Starfire. Sometime later, he had escaped again and attempted to destroy Jump city, only to be foiled by Starfire and her new allies, who had called themselves the Titans.

Fortunately for Lex, even when his last failsafe had been foiled, he had called Mercy to have men ready to pick him up. Luthor had been defeated, but he had never made it to prison. Ever since, a manhunt had ensued for Lex Luthor, though with no success in capturing him

"I know, Lex," said Mercy. "We both know that would be bad for business."

"Indeed," said Lex, "as would the press discovering the truth behind our partnership with Cadmus. But thanks to your performance out there, that shouldn't be a concern of ours anymore."

Mercy nodded. The less the press knew, the better. In fact, they could not be allowed to learn anything Cadmus was really working on. She had not been lying that the laboratory had the same interests as Lex Corp. What she had told them was the real reason they were now partners.

"Yes, I think you're right on that score," Mercy agreed. "And it also feels good knowing I got the drop on Lois Lane like that. It should take her a few weeks for her to nurse her pride."

Lex nodded his agreement. "Which gives us more time to accelerate our plans. It would seem things are under control here, Mercy. I trust you can manage things with Cadmus. I, on the other hand, have business in a more ancient part of the world."

"Ah yes," mused Mercy. "We wouldn't want you to keep the Queen Bee waiting, now would we? Have a nice flight, Lex. I'll make sure Project Kr stays off the record."

"If anyone can dothat," agreed Lex Luthor, "it's you, Mercy Graves."