Chapter 50: Another First Date

Start from the beginning

"If she doesn't want to see you, she'll tell you herself. Look, it's your choice, but if there's someone in New York that can find your mom, I think you should go for it. The worst that can happen is that she can't find her, and I'll be there every step of the way," Bucky said. I hugged him, burying my head in his chest rather than saying what I really wanted to say – that the worst thing that could happen would be hearing that Layla Miller was dead, or that she wasn't even really my mother.

"I'll think about it," I promised. "But first, we have a highly anticipated first date to plan!"

***

"He's worried that she's standing him up," Falcon said. I peeked out from behind my menu to see Steve fidgeting.

"Tell him to sit still," I said, before speaking into my own ear piece. "OK, walk in. He's nervous so be gentle with him," I warned Nat.

Together, Falcon, Bucky and I watched as Steve stood up to greet his date, kissing her on the cheek.

"Pull out her chair, girls love that stuff," Falcon continued speaking to Steve through their separate ear piece.

"He's a gentleman from the 40s, forget all the feminist stuff and let him pull out your chair," I told Nat, knowing that she was the physical embodiment of an 'independent woman'.

"Compliment her, tell her how beautiful she looks," Bucky said.

"You look beautiful," Steve said with a smile as they sat down.

"Thank you. You look great too," she said, sipping the water that was already on the table.

"You haven't seen her in a while, ask her how she's been," Falcon said to Steve.

"How have you been?" Steve asked.

"Don't give him too many details, he doesn't need to know how many people you beat up last week," I said, exaggerating for emphasis.

"I've been great," she said, as they lapsed back into silence, waiting for the waiter to come and take their order.

"Is it just me or is this date awkward?" I whispered to the boys.

"First dates are supposed to be awkward. Wasn't your first date awkward?" he asked, gesturing to me and Bucky. Bucky grinned and blushed, looking down. "What?"

"Oh, I made our first date a lot less awkward than it could have been," I grinned.

"What did you do?" Falcon asked.

"I took my top off," I said without missing a beat, not mentioning the rest of the clothes that had also found their way onto the floor of the hotel room that we were staying in.

"Nice!" Falcon said, high-fiving Bucky who still had a red flush of embarrassment that came from being from the 40s, where the concept of sex definitely wasn't spoken about as openly as this!

We turned our attention back to the table, to see that the silence hadn't been lifted.

"Nat, this shouldn't be so hard. You guys have known each other for years! Just... reminisce!" I ordered her.

"Do you remember our first kiss?" she asked, immediately following my orders.

"Of course," he said, his face breaking out in a grin. "We were sitting on Rogue's bed, and you told me that it was a bad kiss."

"I didn't say it was bad!" she laughed. "I just asked if it was your first kiss since 1945."

"Which implies that it was bad," he said, also laughing.

"I was just pointing out that you need some practice!"

"And are you willing to help me out with that?" he asked.

"If I have to," she said, pretending to be annoyed. Then she leaned over and they kissed just as the waiter came over to take their order.

"Guys, I think our work here is done," I said, standing up.

"I'm gonna stay," Falcon said, taking out his menu and looking through it with a look of deep concentration on his face. "Someone needs to keep an eye on those two."

"Cool. Come on, Buck," I said, stretching my hand out and grasping his fingers.

"Where are we going?" he asked.

"To find Jessica Jones."

****************************************

Thanks for reading!

What do you think will happen when Rogue and Jessica meet? Read next Saturday's chapter to find out!

Vote and comment if you liked this chapter!