Jocelyn's River: Chapter 20

Start from the beginning

            “What do ya mean?  I know you're leavin' today, so I wanted to stop by and say good-bye.”

            “Oh,” I said.

            “Well, aren't you gonna invite me in?”  He didn't even let me respond.  He just walzted on up in the apartment.  “How ya feelin'?

            “I'm fine,” I answered even though I was beginning to get pissed off.  “Look....I don't really feel like havin' any company right now.”

            “Oh, I won't be here long, no way,” he assured me as he went to sit down on the couch.

            My nostrils flared.  “What do you want?” I asked.

            He turned his head to look at me where I stood behind the couch.  “You're a lil' snappy this mornin', ain't cha,” he commented and stood up from the seat.  He came towards me and placed a sympathetic hand on my shoulder.  “I understand.”

             “River, what's going on?” Jocelyn's voice rang in the air.  She walked out of the bedroom wearing the yellow sundress she had on yesterday.

            “Everything's fine,” I answered and took a deep breath and stood up tall.  “Nicolas, my father is here to visit me.”

            Jocelyn came to stand beside me, took my hand, and entwined our fingers.  Nicolas watched us in sheer astonishment.  He didn't know what to think.

            “What's this.....you been sleepin' with the cleanin' lady.”

            My body's temperature increased and my fist started to shake.

            “Excuse me.....” Jocelyn gasped.

            “She's my fiancée!” I growled at him and let go of Jocelyn's hand.  “You damn son of a bitch.”

            I nearly grabbed him by the collar and I would have if it weren't for my future wife who was standing by me.

            “No, River,” Jocelyn placed her hand on my chest and pulled me to the side.  “He's still your father.  Remember what you told me.”

            I landed back on earth when her hand touched my chest and she locked eyes with me.  From absorbing her kind warmth, I calmed myself.  My father was behaving like a fool and only one reason popped in my head.  He had been drinking.  After he told me he was changed man, he went and broke his promise with God.  I was ashamed.

            “Get out,” I grumbled.

            “What?” he said.

            “Get out!”

            “B-but...” he started.

            “You broke your promise with God and you lied to me.  You don't belong in our home.”

            “Son, don't do this to me, please,” he implored and pressed a hand to his chest.  “I didn't lie to you.  I'm tryna' recover, but I had more than a few lousy drinks last night and a couple more this mornin'.  Ya see, when I first came back down here, I was plannin' to pay your ma a visit.  Then I found out she died.  It got me feelin' kinda' down, ya know.”

            I folded my arms across my bare chest and turned my back to him.  I pressed my fingertips to the bridge of my nose and closed my eyes.