08

Needless to say the arrival back to Erebor was one of confusion. A couple of guards who were at the gate looked at them all quizzically before escorting them to the throne room. King Thrór alongside Prince Thráin were present, as well as the Elvenking, one of Thranduil's guards stood close by. Of course as soon as they saw their younger relatives their expressions went slack.

Thrór was the first to react. He threw his arms up into the air and stood up from his throne. "Children!" He exclaimed and stepped down to stand in front of them. "There you all are, where have you all been?"

Thráin choosing to pick up on something more obvious, frowned down at them. "Why are you all muddy?" His tone was one of pure confusion.

Thorin took a sharp intake of breath before letting it out and looking to his grandfather. "I escorted Náriel to Dale, we spent most of the day there before bumping into Frerin and Dís." He explained evenly. "When the storm came an innkeeper gave us rooms to stay in until it passed."

"Well that explains some things," Thrór said thoughtfully.

Náriel coughed politely. "As to why we're muddy, Prince Thráin, we may have ran into some difficulties with the journey back. Some rather unavoidable difficulties, that is." This seemed enough for Thráin for he just gave a slow nod. Náriel smiled lightly, she thought it was for the best that none of them knew of their slight mud wrestling moments. What they didn't know, wouldn't harm them.

Though despite of her answer, Thranduil stood with a blank look on his face looking at her dimly. Her smile slipped and she looked to the floor. Noticing her sudden downcast disposition, Thorin reached down and lightly skimmed her hand with his, it was a small attempt at comforting her.

Thrór sighed and relented, he too seemed content with all of this. "All that truly matters is that you are all safe, mud and all."

Thorin frowned lightly, "There were no dangers for our safety to be compromised."

Thrór just looked to his grandson and then down at Dís, who had now been placed back on solid ground from being carried by Frerin. "You are not mad at us?" She asked in a coy and tentative tone, she looked up at him with wide innocent eyes.

Reaching down Thrór placed a hand on her mud flecked hair. "You have done nothing wrong," he smiled down at her. Dís was content with this and smiled back. Shaking his head and removing his hand, he looked to his grandchildren. "Off you go, it is getting late and you all need to get yourselves cleaned up."

"Náriel," Thranduil spoke up, it didn't sit well that Thrór was basically putting Náriel in with the three dwarves. If there was something Náriel needed to do, Thranduil would be the one to tell her, not the dwarf-King. "You too should go and clean up."

"Yes, I shall, uncle." Náriel said quietly while inclining her head.

Thorin looked to Náriel, she looked at him from the corner of her eyes. "I hope all goes well. If you need me at any time, come to my chambers." Thorin whispered while patting her on the shoulder gently as he passed, Frerin and Dís looked at her kindly before following after their brother.

Náriel quickly moved off to her room, instantly heading towards the bathroom and seeking to sort out a bath. A bath with a generous amount of bubbles, that's just what she needed right now. Once the tub was full, she undressed. Grimacing at the feeling of peeling her clothes from her chilled body. Stepping one foot in and sighing at the warm heat of the water, she slowly sunk in with a content sigh. Soon being just a pair of eyes on the surface of steaming water, Náriel shut her eyes contentedly. Submerging herself she stayed under the water for a matter of seconds before surfacing again.