1 | Lost in You [Complete]

Start from the beginning

"Wash her or else I will never forgive you!" I'd told him when he'd apologized.

Of course he refused so I stole his soccer ball and ran around the field with the boys chasing me and shouting at me. They never caught me. Eventually, Aiden agreed to wash my bunny.  

 "Stop it," I said.

"Only if you admit how irresistible and—"

Aiden ducked, dodging the empty paper bag I'd thrown at his head. He burst out laughing. I could feel the corners of my mouth lifting into a smile. He always looked cute when he laughed.

"Fine, I admit it. I obviously like you," I said, pretending to pick at my nails. "You're my best friend."

He placed a hand over his chest as if I'd wounded his feelings. "And here I thought you had something more fun in mind."

"Uh-huh," I said.

Aiden's cell phone rang. Standing up, he took it out of his pocket. I followed the stretch of his body as he straightened his back. His broad shoulders pressed over his plaid shirt, the rim of his black jeans riding low on his waist. I looked away, afraid he might catch me staring.

"I have to meet up with some friends," he said. "I'll see you later, beautiful."

I rolled my eyes.

Aiden chuckled. He jumped off the truck and disappeared into the crowd.

He'd called me beautiful. A small part of me leapt with joy. I should shrug off his slick compliment. He'd only said it to tease me.

Sighing, I played with the colored shells on my charm bracelet. The sea stones bounced against the pearls and the loops jingled when they brushed over the silver chain. It had been a Christmas gift from Naomi. We had become best friends from over a year ago when her family had moved in as our neighbor.

It didn't take long before she returned. Her skin was flushed with sweat. "Two minutes left...to midnight!" she said in between deep breaths. She must have been running.

My tongue ratcheted up my mouth, ready to roll of a curse. I hadn't noticed how much time had passed. I tucked a lock of dark hair behind my ear. "Be right back."

Clasping the side of the truck, I vaulted over, my feet landing on dry ground. The golf field was massive. It sprawled out all around me, expanding to the rows of trees fencing it. Lamp posts flooded the grass with splashes of yellow light.

I trudged along a small hill, oblivious to the people milling about the park, the vendors selling mouthwatering candies and tasty fast food and the street performers entertaining the kids.

Only one thing skimmed through my mind. I was going to fulfil the only New Year resolution I had come up with—to kiss Aiden Rowe right before the clock struck midnight. In all honesty, I was cheating because the new year wasn't up yet but I didn't mind.

When the lights went out one by one, the park was left in a cloak of darkness. Hushed voices filled my ears. I could feel anticipation warming the air. It latched on my skin.

One minute left.

I knew because I'd kept count. My heart palpitated, my fingers shook. Aiden was only standing a few feet from me, his head raised up at the sky. He wasn't with his friends. I think he wanted to spend the final moments of the year to himself.

Forty seconds.

This was it. This was my chance to steal one bold kiss. When it was over, I'd forget I ever had feelings for him. I'd erase them from my mind, pluck them out of my heart. I would do it for the sake of our friendship.

For him.

For us.

The thought of it sent a stab of pain in my chest. Letting out an unsteady breath, I closed the distance between us.

I reached a hand to touch his arm then let it fall to my side. Did my breath stink? Were my palms sweaty? Was it right to do this?

These questions hounded my thoughts, bringing images of Aiden looking at me with shock, backing away from me. My eyes darted to the whites, blues and greens among the crowd, the light emanating from cell phones. They were faint and scarce, failing to fight the shadows.

He couldn't see me in the dark. My identity would be concealed. I'd gotten this far. Backing out would only make me a coward.

Suck it up, Megan, I told myself.

Moistening my lips, I moved forward until I was standing before him.

"Thirty!" the crowd chanted.

As Aiden lowered his head to look at me, I pushed myself on the tips of my toes. I wound my left hand over his neck, bringing his face close to me. And then I kissed him.

His mouth was warm and soft against mine, his skin radiating warmth. My right hand pressed over his shoulder, feeling the muscles beneath his shirt tense under my touch. Aiden had stiffened.

"Twenty five!"

I kissed him harder, pouring out all my desire and yearning for him, releasing all the pent up frustrations I'd kept locked away for eight months. I'd fallen in love with a boy who had been by my side for as long as I could remember, who had comforted me in my time of grief, who had made me laugh when I was sad or angry, who had rescued me and kept me out of trouble, and who had taught me how to punch and swear like a guy.

Just this once he was mine.

"Twenty!"

Slowly, he relaxed. And then he moved. One hand slid up the small of my back, pressing my body to his. The other threaded through my hair, keeping me close. I could feel his heart beating against mine, matching my own rhythm.

It was a kiss unlike any other.

A kiss to end it all.

"Four!"

My ears registered the sounds of music and voices, my mind filled with a sudden sense of urgency.

"Three!"

I pulled back. Tremors tumbled through my fingers and traveled up my shoulders. My breaths came out in short huffs, my chest heaving up and down. I shuffled back by a few steps, inching away from him.

He grabbed my wrist. "Wait."

I didn't wait. I couldn't. Wrenching my arm free, I slipped through the crowd.

The night erupted in a discordance of noise. Fireworks soared into the sky, little flecks of light that sparkled in a plethora of colors. They transformed into shapes of stars and planets, hearts and smileys, flowers and fronds. It was a beautiful display, one that left me dazzled.  

When the lamp posts flickered on, I scanned the throng. A sea of familiar faces. Old Mrs. Patrick shaking her hips and swinging her cane in a semicircle, the Hawkins twins blowing up balloons, sniggering at the poor girl they pranked, and Peter Dalton throwing his hands in the air, dancing to the beat of the music.

A feminine yelp sounded behind me, a sound I easily recognized. A moment later, something—or rather someone—collided with my back, throwing me on the ground.

"Happy New Year, Megs!" Naomi ruffled my hair.

I groaned. She had picked up a few bad habits from Aiden. I tried to crawl away but she tickled me until I felt tears stinging my eyes. My ribs shook with deep laughter and I writhed like a little girl. Rolling on the grass, I managed to get away from her grasp.

"Don't call me that," I said once I had calmed down.

"What, Megs? Meggie? Meggers? Megawatts?"

I pursed my lips.

 "Meggy-poo?"

That did it. Frowning, I pinched her arm. She swiped my fingers away and grinned. I couldn't keep up my scowl. Together, we laughed at our silly antics.

We laid on the grass in silence, watching the fireworks transform the sky into a work of art—a collage of vibrant colors and twisted shapes.

Tonight, I had kissed Aiden Rowe. And tonight, I would forget that moment.