Chapter 2

"Alright guys," Hermione whispered, "where would a wizard go to find a creature that loves anything shiny...?" she looked at Ron and Harry, who both shrugged. "the vault, of course!" She rolled her eyes impatiently. "that's great and all, but we don't know how to apparate yet," said Ron, "how else are we going to make it past the security?"

Harry suddenly remembered his father's invisibility cloak and The Marauder's Map, which he always carried in his left pocket since the start of the Tri-wizard tournament. So he reached his hand inside his jacket and pulled them both out, a grin spread across his face. "let's move." he whispered.

However, when the trio finally managed to make it into the vault with the help of the alohomora spell, they discovered a stunned police officer laying unconscious on the floor

However, when the trio finally managed to make it into the vault with the help of the alohomora spell, they discovered a stunned police officer laying unconscious on the floor. Scanning the area, they realised that Newt was already gone. Groaning in frustration, Harry took out the Marauder's Map and held it underneath his cloak. "Lumos!" He held up his wand and whispered, "I solemnly swear I'm up to no good."

The map suddenly came alive

The map suddenly came alive. Harry, Ron and Hermione quickly located Newt just outside the bank, and they saw a girl watching him - Tina Goldstein. A closer inspection also placed a man called Jacob Kowalski next to Newt. However, before the trio had a chance to think further, they heard another team of police officers heading downstairs.

Harry, Ron and Hermione exchanged nervous glances and quickly slipped past the officers under the cloak. Then, they followed The Marauder's Map all the way to Newt's location.

When they were finally in the clear, Harry quickly threw the cloak off and carefully folded it back in his left pocket. Just as they got ready to move again, Hermione started to have second thoughts. "Hold up guys," she said, unsure, "remember what Dumbledore said? He told us that any changes in history would create ripples throughout time. So maybe we should leave this alone." "Are you serious? This is our chance to meet famous wizards from the past!" Ron laughed. "besides, they won't even live long enough to see the 1990s." Harry thought for a minute and decided to agree with Ron. "Yeah, I agree," he crossed his arms, "Hermione, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, so let's get reckless." Hermione frowned. "alright... but if we're going to do this, we do it my way." she said sternly, "better safe than sorry right?" "yeah, yeah..." Ron and Harry muttered, "let's move! we don't have a lot of time." Ron ran towards Newt's location quickly, Harry and Hermione hot on his heels.

Looking at the Map, they realised that Jacob had disappeared into the crowd, but Newt and Tina were still trackable; they have disapparated to the other corner of the bank. "we really need to learn how to apparate..." Hermione sighed. when Harry got Newt in his sight, he quickly muttered "mischief managed," which closed the Map. Harry made sure that the ink faded before folding it back in his pocket. 

The trio hid and decided to eavesdrop on the conversation

The trio hid and decided to eavesdrop on the conversation. "...I work for the Magical Congress of the United States of America." they heard Tina whisper. The trio leant in further; if that was true, then it meant that Tina could lead them to the Ministry of Magic, which could provide the trio with a time turner! "...I'm taking you in." they heard her say. this was their chance! trusting his instincts, Harry emerged from his hiding spot just as they were getting ready to disapparate again. "Wait!!" he shouted to get their attention. Tina and Newt spun around, obviously taken by surprise. 

Sighing loudly, Ron and Hermione exchanged nervous glances and stepped out beside Harry. "Who are you kids?" Tina crossed her arms, "um... er..." Harry stuttered, suddenly at a loss for words. "It's a long story," he finally managed to say, "well, we are from Hogwarts, and we have no idea how we winded up in New York. Can you help us? we just need a ride to the ministry." 

Both adults were in shock. "how did you know who we were?" "er, we are fr-" Harry started, but was quickly interrupted by Hermione. "...also a long story. I'm sorry; please trust me, the less you know about us, the better." Tina thought about it - she wanted to help; after all, they were just kids. "alright, I guess. put your hands in." she finally sighed.

So the trio made contact with Tina. As soon as they did so, they felt the sudden pull of apparition. Harry thought it felt like being squeezed into a rubber tube. "here we are," said Tina, when they apparated inside, "welcome to the Magical Congress of America."