Bringing Home the Tree

For many families, one of the high points of the holiday season is the installation of a Christmas tree in the house. Whether it is the evergreen smell or the stunning visual appeal, there is just something about a Christmas tree which seems to bring the very spirit of Christmas into a home. This is certainly the way Ralph and his three brothers felt about it. It was fifteen days until Christmas and mother and father had left earlier that evening to go shopping for a tree. Ralph's oldest brother, Tommy, watched his younger brothers carefully. This was only the second time that their parents had let them stay at home by themselves and so because Tommy was in charge, he wanted to make sure nothing went wrong. Tommy and Ralph were sitting quietly at the kitchen table, each trying to mask his great excitement over the soon arrival of the Christmas tree. The other two boys, Billy and Alfred, stood at the kitchen window, peering out at the driveway, waiting impatiently for the headlights of father's truck to come into view. After what seemed like an eternity of endless waiting, there arose a shout from the two younger boys,

"Here they come! Here they come!"

Tommy and Ralph, forgetting their attempt to be calm and mature, sprang up from their seats and dashed into the living room, the younger boys following close behind. Resuming his role as older brother and chief in command, Tommy stepped towards the large French doors which let out into the backyard. With a dignified motion, he flung the doors open just as father was backing the truck into place. Mother and father got out of the truck and walked to the back where their four children stood, all looking up at them expectantly.

"Did you get a tree?" Billy asked.

"Barely..." mother rolled her eyes as she replied, "and I don't think it's much of a tree."

Father gave her an annoyed look, "Now Ellen, there's no need to argue about it anymore."

Ralph hung his head and sighed. Every Christmas, his parents disagreed on where to buy a Christmas tree. Then they disagreed on everything else about it: where to put it, how to decorate it, how to water it. He had hoped this year would be different, but it wasn't. In fact, his mother seemed to be more irritated about it than ever.

Father let down the tailgate; he and mother carried the tree inside, leaning it against a wall.

"Well, where do you want to put it this year?" mother asked. There was a snide, sarcastic nature in the way she talked that made Ralph very uneasy. Father let out a long sigh and responded, "Like I say every year, it doesn't matter to me. We can put it wherever would be best for you."

"Fine," said mother, "if you want me to do this all by myself." She turned away from him abruptly and began clearing a spot near the bookcase for the tree.

"Tommy, did you bring in the tree stand from the shed like I asked you to?"

"Yes mother." Tommy, glad to help with the tree, went bounding towards the front porch where he had set the tree stand earlier that day. He picked it up and had made his way halfway back when mother let out a horrified cry, "Tommy! It's dripping mud all over the floor!" She dashed over to him and snatched the it out of his hands, carrying it quickly over to where she had laid down a sheet on the floor for the tree. Ralph watched as Tommy realized to his upmost horror that he had left several blotches of mud on the carpet.

"I'm sorry mother..." He spoke softly and Ralph could tell he was terribly ashamed and embarrassed. Mother, who was quite upset now, slowly shook her head as she looked at the dirty floor, "Now I have to clean that carpet again." She slammed the tree holder down in place and stomped over to the tree. With her anger boiling, she grabbed it and tried to lift it. Unfortunately for her, and for the tree, she was not quite strong enough and it fell to the ground with a loud "Thud!" The room became very silent, everyone in shock from what had just happened. Now it was mother's turn to be embarrassed. Her eyes speedily searched the room, looking for an excuse for her actions. "David!" she practically yelled, "Why didn't you help me?" Father's eyes lit up with anger and confusion, "And just how was I supposed to know you were going to do that?"

Mother glared back at him, "Don't try to make excuses for yourself."

Father threw his hands up in the air, "I'm not - oh never mind!" He grabbed the tree and lifted it into the stand. The room became silent as everyone stared at it. It was beautiful, so beautiful in fact that it seemed to take away all the tension which had built up over the past few minutes. As Ralph looked around the room, he saw his two little brothers. They were looking up at the tree with big smiles on their faces. His father was also looking at it, but his expression was one of sadness and hurt, as if he was remembering times when things were happier in their home. Tommy, who was still shaken up, was sitting on the couch with his head hung low. Finally, Ralph's gaze fell on his mother. She now wore a much different look on her face then she had a few seconds ago. One big tear rolled down her cheek. Confused by this sudden transformation of character, Ralph watched closely. Mother slowly turned to face her family. She opened her mouth to say something but the words seemed to catch in her throat. She lowered her head and stared at the floor for a few seconds. When she finally looked up again, there was a big Christmassy smile on her face and her voice rang out like bells on a cold morning, "Who wants to help me decorate this tree?" Father's head snapped up and he looked at her with surprise and wonder. She had changed from being mean and rude to being warm and happy. A broad smile spread across his face as he walked across the room, retrieving the box of Christmas tree décor from a top shelf. The two younger boys ran over excitedly and began pulling lights and ornaments from the box. Tommy was stunned by his mother's sudden change of mood, but before long, he was helping his brothers decorate their tree. Ralph sat quietly and watched. He would never forget how mother had made a mistake, corrected herself, and given their family one of the nicest Christmas evenings they would ever have.