Roses? Good God, you must be joking! I don’t get paid an awful lot for being a psychiatrist, you know. I’m not made of money.” Louis grinned.

He guided Harry over to the Porsche and opened the door for him, and Harry happily slipped inside, handing over his suitcase. As Louis loaded Harry’s things into the back of the car, he couldn’t help bouncing up and down slightly with anticipation. Taking Harry home…something he’d scarcely dared dream about before. His legs were trembling as he got into the front seat, and he squeezed Harry’s hand for reassurance that nothing was going to melt away. Reassured, he turned the key in the ignition and started to drive them down the road, wondering if it was possible to explode with joy, and whether he would make much of a mess when he did it.

“Did you get the movies?” Harry asked.

“Of course I did. Oh, and they were doing a discount on popcorn at the supermarket, so I picked up maybe a few more bags than were strictly necessary…still, you’ve got, what, a month? I’m sure we can finish twelve bags of popcorn in a month…”

“Oh, God. We’ll have popcorn coming out of our ears!”

“Probably. Don’t worry, we’ll borrow someone’s dog. There’s a guy on my road with a really fat Daschund – I’ll get him to bring it over, and it can eat all the leftovers.”

What?” Harry burst out laughing. “Louis, you’re absolutely mad!”

“Quite possibly,” Louis cheerfully agreed. “But it’s a good plan.”

“Do Daschunds like popcorn?”

“That one does. Trust me, it eats anything. It’s morbidly obese.”

Shaking his head with his lips pressed together in amusement, Harry looked out of the window and tried not to grab Louis and kiss him once again. Now that they had the chance, not kissing when there was plenty of opportunity seemed kind of wasteful – but uncertain that Louis could drive and snog at the same time, he decided that it would be a better idea to avert his gaze.

“By the way, don’t be offended by my flat. It’s not the tidiest of places.”

“I’m sure I’ll live. You don’t have a hairy Brazilian flat-mate that you forgot to mention to me, do you?”

“The last time I checked, the only thing I shared my flat with was a very large spider called Brian.”

“Who calls a spider Brian?”

“I did. I thought it looked like a Brian.”

“Once again: you’re mad. But that’s why I love you…although I don’t really like spiders.”

“Well it’s a good thing I’m going to evict him for not paying his rent, then, isn’t it?” Louis said instantly, trying not to laugh. “I hope your dislike for him won’t stop you from attending his funeral.”

“You’re going to squish him?”

“If you want me to.”

“You’d squish your spider for me? I…I’m getting quite emotional.”

“So you should. This wasn’t an easy decision. I was getting quite used to the little guy…but yes, for you, I will squish him and flush his mangled body down the toilet.”

“How romantic. For me you would crush a spider. This makes me feel so special.”

“For you, Harry, I would crush ten thousand spiders.” With a huge, idiotic grin, Louis swiftly pulled out of the car park, hoping that he wouldn’t ever have to live up to that promise. Truthfully, he wasn’t all too keen on spiders himself, and the idea of crushing even one made him feel ill – he’d only left it so long because he’d been afraid to touch it so he could get rid of it. Still…for Harry, he would kill Brian the spider, and keep his girly squeals of disgust to a minimum.