Chapter 7: The End of Fifth Grade

It was only in their final week of fifth grade did They realize They truly loved each other. They did not change once this came to their thoughts; They remained just the same, not becoming more flirtatious or clingier in the slightest. Though They both felt this way towards each other, it had never crossed their minds that the other could respond with the same feelings. They thought it was safer to assume that the other didn't like them "that way". So even though They wanted more, They remained friends.

It is the final day of fifth grade.

They treat it like any other day, though both itching to be free of the burden of school. The minutes led on longer than ever, now that the idea of summer was present in their thoughts. After what seemed like many weeks, the children were dismissed to go grab their backpacks, then leave the school. The students, who were running away from school like cellmates from prison, were long gone, and it was just They that stood in the hallway.

"Goodbye! See you next year!" Were She's parting words.

"You too," Was He's farewell.

They thought in that sixth grade, the start of middle school (or secondary school) would be exactly like fifth grade- full of surprises and struggles and happiness, as if it was simply an extension of their last elementary school year. They were both pleased and hopeful at the thought of next year, but couldn't help but be slightly anxious.

Hand in hand (which felt more meaningful now that They were aware of their emotions), They strode towards the large doors that exited the building. The moment They opened the doors and the sunlight's glare shone down on them was the moment they had spent their last childhood penny.

The two had spent all of their childhood together.

All of it. 

Nope, not a single penny of childhood left.

Their final childhood savings coin, their last penny, clanged on the ground as it dropped to the floor.