Chapter Six

"I'm glad you're happy," Carter says.

"Well, it took me a while but I had to get it done," I said.

"And it's great that you did so," he replied, before he pulled me into a hug.

Apart from Judie, Carter had been someone that I could easily rely myself on. He wasn't only my boss, but my close friend. And honestly, having the people I love to support me was all I needed.

"Now go, you don't want to keep them waiting," Carter says.

I nodded, and left, only to be thrown into a crowd of questions.

"How are you not a fraud?"

"Is that really his child?"

"How long have you kept this as a secret?"

"Enough, I am the father of the child and that is final!" Cristiano says, but I couldn't make up where he was as there were too many people around me.

Soon, there were two men beside me. Their big size and deep voice were able to make the people leave.

"Thank you sir," I said, as soon as the coast was clear.

"We're just doing our job. And please, call me Jeff. My partner here is Rob. Do call us if you need any help," one of them responded.

"Jeff, Rob, you can leave us alone for now. Thank you once again," Cristiano says, wrapping an arm around my waist. 

"You hired us not one, but two body guards?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I want Junior and you safe," he responded, as he followed me walk towards my car.

"Well, I'm going home now," I said.

And then, he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.

He rested a hand on my shoulder, still not wiping the smile off his lips.

"Have you forgotten what day it is today?" he asks.

I paused for a while and then remembered it was the Art Gallery Festival.

"Oh my god, I've forgotten," I said.

"I thought so. Go home now and be ready by 7," he smiled.

"Oh, but Cris, Junior-"

"Jasmine? Jade? June? Uh, what is it," he blurted, confusing me.

"Judie! Right, Judie. I've asked her to watch over Junior while we're gone," he says.

I crossed my arms.

"How did you know Judie?" I asked.

"Let's just say... Junior and I make a great team," he winked.

-

Last night.

It had been two days since Cristiano and I have talked to Junior about his 'father'. Suprisingly, Cristiano had got along with Junior in quite a short period of time. Usually, Junior wouldn't open up to anyone so easily. He was more of a quiet and shy boy but if I were to be honest, it definitely warmed my heart to see Junior happy. Especially that now he has another person, playing a huge part in his life.

"Mama, can I have more?" Junior asks, pushing his plate closer to me.

I have invited Cristiano over. Well, more of because Junior had been asking me to. I pecked a small kiss on Junior's forehead, before I walked to the kitchen to get more food.

"Hey buddy, can you help papa?" Cristiano asks, leaning closer towards Junior.

"Yeah!" Junior giggled.

"Well, papa is planning to bring mama out tomorrow and I was wondering if you know anyone that could watch over you while we're gone?" Cristiano asks, turning his head after every 10 seconds, to check if I was coming back.

"Oh, Auntie Judie always takes care of me whenever mama has to work overnight," Junior replies.

"Ah, good boy! How can I contact Auntie Judie without mama knowing?" Cristiano whispers.

"Mama's phone is probably upstairs. Her password is 2512," Junior giggled softly, before I entered the room.

The boys suddenly pulled a straight face, holding back their laughters.

"Is there something that I'm missing out on?" I asked, taking my seat.

"Nothing at all. I'll be right back, I have to use the toilet," Cristiano shooked his head as he stood. And from the corner of my eyes, I noticed him gesturing his hands to Junior.

"Thank you," Christiano mouthed with a wink.

-

"And that's how I did it," Cristiano explained.

"You sneak! I can't believe Junior completely bailed on me," I threw my head back with a laugh.

"What can I say? We make a great team," Cristiano says, before I got into my car.

I started the engine and looked out of my window where Cristiano was still standing.

"I'll see you later," I said, pulling down the window.

"Yeah and by the way," he says, taking a few steps closer. He bent down to reach my eye level, resting his hand on the pulled down window of the car.

"You look great in your camera album," he winked, with a hint of lip bite.

I suppressed a smile. He could tell from MU blush that I really liked him. My usual even brown had a rosiness to it, and to Cristiano it was cute.

On the way back home, Cristiano's voice was the only thing running through my head, like a song played on repeat.
I could feel the heat growing in my cheeks. By now they must be beyond an attractive rosiness. They must be marking me out as a social incompetent. I felt as if all my insecurities were writ large across my face and there was nowhere to hide. As my anxieties mounted they became a circle, like a song stuck on repeat.