Eight

Day Trip

   After regaining full consciousness, Nova had been horrified to learn what had happened to the Grounder, but she could see the necessity behind it. The hundred needed information, and the Grounder had it.

   Unable to walk very well, Nova had been instructed to sit on the bottom floor of the drop ship and let her leg heal. Nova hated it but Clarke had insisted.

   "You can help watch over the Grounder," she had said. "You can't let him leave, but also make sure the others don't kill him."

   The most entertaining part of Nova's time on the ground floor was watching Bellamy and Octavia fight. It was petty, she knew that, but no one was inside the ship. Everyone was outside, preparing for winter. She was incredibly bored.

   The fight was interrupted when Clarke entered the space.

   "Bellamy," she said.

   "The answer is still no. I'm not talking to Jaha." He turned around to leave.

   "Hey, relax," she said, causing Bellamy to stop. "That's not why I'm here."

   "What, then?"

   "The Ark found some old records that show a supply depot not too far from here."

   "What kind of supplies?" Nova asked, bringing their attention to her.

   "The kind that might give us a chance to live through winter," Clarke replied. "I'm gonna go check it out. I could use backup." She looked pointedly at Bellamy.

   "Why are you asking me?" He asked.

   "Well, because right now, I don't feel like being around anyone I actually like."

   Nova laughed softly, causing Bellamy to make eye contact with her. He smirked at Nova before turning back to Clarke and nodding his head.

   "I'll get my stuff; meet you in ten."

   Nova watched as the two left the drop ship, leaving her and Octavia. Nova hated being stuck with Octavia. She was one of the most annoying people Nova knew. All Octavia did was complain and brood and moan.

   A guy entered the drop ship, calling out to Miller on the higher level. "Hey, Miller, Roma's parents are waiting for you on the radio."

   The hatch opened as Miller went down the ladder, leaving it unlocked.

   With a quick glance at Nova, Octavia quickly climbed up the ladder.

   Nova hated being stuck on the bottom level. She hated not being able to do anything.

   Bellamy entered the drop ship once more. "Where's O?"

   "Went to get a drink," she lied. "Aren't you leaving?"

   "Yeah, I am now." He sat down next to her, being careful not to jostle or hurt her. "I just wanted to say goodbye."

   "It's just a day trip, Bell. I'm sure nothing will go wrong." Nova turned to see Bellamy roll his eyes and sigh. "Okay, okay. Bye. Be safe." She rested her head on his shoulder.

   "Always am." With a soft kiss on the top of her head, Bellamy got up and left.

   A few seconds later, still remembering the kiss, Nova watched as Miller went up the ladder, and Octavia went down. Nova could only hope that Miller didn't mistreat the Grounder at all. No one deserved to be tortured.

   Jasper had entered the drop ship, lost and looking for a toilet, when he tripped on Nova.

   "Oh, wow, you're a person. You're not a rock. Oh, wow."