57; Advice, acceptance, and hallway talks

Start from the beginning

“No,” I tell Niall. “I didn’t.”

Niall almost dies. “What? Why on earth not?”

I look down. “She’s … she’s with Liam, man.”

“Fuck Liam!”

I look back up at him with sore eyes. “Niall, forget it.”

Niall stands. “No. This is crazy. You just need to kiss her. God, just kiss her! Seriously, fuck everything else. She doesn’t love Liam! No one loves Liam! Fuck Liam!”

“She does, Niall!” I yell.

“Zayn, I know you don’t believe that.”

“Well maybe I have to,” I snap. “Maybe I just … maybe it’s what’s right.”

Niall does this whole spaz dance thing. “Damn. Man, damn. Damn, damn, damn. This sucks. Why can’t you two just be together? Look, maybe if you just kissed her-“

“I FUCKING HAVE!”

Niall’s eyes slowly move over to me and he doesn’t say anything, for quite some time. I get to my feet, shaking my head. “I did, Niall. It’s never going to work. She told me herself.”

Niall just nods. “Right. Yeah … right.”

“I’m going to get lunch. You want anything?” I move towards the door, shoving my leather jacket on.

“No, I’m fine. I … I’m sorry, Zayn-o.”

My lips curl a little to the left. “No, it’s fine. It’s not meant to be, right? I mean, these things happen. It’s okay.”

Niall just looks at me and I slip out into the hallway. The minute I’m out I just take a second to breathe. I’ve been telling myself, from the moment she left, that she’s wrong. That she doesn’t know what she’s doing, and I do. I’ve been blaming her because I can’t blame myself anymore.

I wonder what she’s been thinking. I bet she wants to talk to me, give me some speech that she thinks will straighten things out, but I don’t want to hear it. I don’t want to talk to her, I don’t want to remember how useless I am. How Liam’s so much better than me. I guess this is heartbreak, and I’ve never really felt it before. But I know rejection, and I know it just takes time to recover. And time away from the rejector.

I move down the hall and find that there’s a line to the counter in the cafeteria, so I decide to wait outside. I lean against the wall, looking at my shoes as I scuff them on the tiled floor. People constantly move past, sharing excitement from the last two weeks. I wish I could share excitement with someone. I wish I had excitement to share.

I look up again and my eyes immediately find this spot of green amongst the busy, blurred crowd. It stands out incredibly and naturally, I’m drawn. My eyes move up the body and my breath hitches in my throat as I see Violet standing there, just looking at me.