4; Tears, messengering, and anniversaries

Violet

"Now, class. Please listen." Mr. Carlton stands at the front of the classroom, staring us all down. “There are 2000 coins in this investigation, which, when flipped, only have two outcomes. Do you understand that much?"

"Come on, Carlton, we learnt this in primary school," Harry groans from the back of the room.

Mr. Carlton turns to him. “Then you won’t have any trouble in passing the test, now will you, Harry? Feet off the table." He then looks back at the rest of us. “So, 2000 coins, all with two outcomes. Tail, or head." His eyes catch on Harry again and he sighs. “Harry, since you think you’re so good at this topic, and feel the need to tell your neighbour, maybe you can answer my question."

"Lay it on me."

"What are my chances of getting head?"

Harry smiles and eyes Mr. Carlton up and down. “You, Sir?" He winces. “Not very likely."

The entire class erupts into laughter and I roll my eyes, not finding any hilarity in Harry’s remark. It seems Mr. Carlton doesn’t either, because he writes something down on a slip of paper and rips it off. “Step outside, Harry. And take this with you." He looks tired, and I don’t blame him.

Harry saunters to the front of the class and takes the slip of paper. “Detention? Oh, come on. I was just kiddin’ around."

Mr. Carlton levels with him. “Mathematics is not a class for you to kid around in. You can take your foolishness elsewhere, because in here I do not want it."

Harry sighs and walks out of the room, stopping in front of my desk before he does. “Tell Liam I won’t be able to make it to practice, yeah?" He holds up the detention slip. “I got other plans."

I try and avoid eye contact with him. Harry and I aren’t friends, and I don’t ever want him to think we are. Half of Liam’s friends aren’t my friends, but who else do I have? “Why? Won’t you be making it to lunch, either?"

He leans on my desk, and I sigh. “I won’t see him," he tells me. “Liam and Brittany are eating out today. I think it’s like their anniversary or some shit."

My blood stops cold. “What?" I splutter.

"Yeah. Didn’t you know? It’s been a huge thing all damn morning. They wouldn’t shut up about it."

I haven’t seen Liam all day, and I now realise why. Because he’s been with Brittany. I’m not happy that it’s their anniversary, or that they’re still so happily in love. And I’m a little upset that Liam’s ditching me for Brittany. Who am I supposed to talk to at lunch?

"Harry, leave. Now."

Harry stands back up straight. “Alright, alright. I’m going. Later, Violet."

I mumble a ‘bye’ and slump down in my seat, feeling as though my whole day has just been ruined.

———-

"Oh, Liam! It’s the greatest!" Brittany coos as she opens the jewellery box Liam gave her for their anniversary present. She clasps the silver locket in her hands and hugs Liam tight before kissing him. “Put it on, won’t you?"

I stand behind both of them, absolutely disgusted. About their relationship, about Brittany and her stupid fake attitude, and about how Liam is so blinded by the whole thing.

Brittany spins around and holds up her glossy blonde hair as Liam hangs the locket around her neck. She opens it and I glimpse a photo of them both inside. Oh, god. “Happy one year," Liam smiles, spinning her around for another kiss.