47; Indent rings, movie talk, and gear shifts

Zayn

I don't know how long we spend sitting down watching the live music, but I do know that Violet eventually starts to enjoy it. I knew this wasn't her kind of scene, but I wanted her to join. She has to start living at some point.

"We should go look around," I tell her, standing to my feet and dusting myself up.

Violet looks up at me but nods, getting to her feet as well. We grab our things and head for the stalls. I see a stall selling old records and I'm about to tell Violet we have to go there when she grabs my wrist and pulls me excitedly to a vintage fashion stall selling incredibly old jewellery and dresses.

"Wow, look at this stuff," she says to me as we stop outside of the huge tent. I have to admit, I'm a little confused. I had no idea this was Violet's kind of thing, mostly because she makes it pretty known that it's not.

"What are you talking about? You hate this stuff," I tell her.

"I do not hate it," she replies, approaching a table with hundreds of clunky gold rings and pearl necklaces. "I've always liked jewellery," she tells me, holding up a gold band and slipping it on her finger, studying the way it looks.

I stand next to her, picking up random items and looking them over. "You think they're real?"

"Of course they're real!" Violet says in a way other people say the sky is blue, or the grass is green. She picks up a diamond ring and drops it on the floor and I almost have a heart attack because I can not afford to buy it.

"What the fuck are you doing?" I cry, breaking out into a sweat as I look around and hope no one saw.

She picks it up, smirking. "Diamonds don't break," she says smartly, placing the ring back on the table.

I sigh in relief, but also blush a little from embarrassment. "I knew that," I snap.

She continues to pick up different things and try them on. It's strange, the only 'jewellery' I've ever seen Violet wear is her thin gold watch and her pearl earrings. What does she mean she's 'always loved jewellery'? "If this stuff is so real and expensive, why is it being sold at a market?" I ask her.

Violet shrugs. "Some people do that; they're looking to sell valuables and figure markets are the best way."

"How much is this thing?" I hold up the diamond ring and hold it to the light. It twinkles.

"Hundred pounds," a woman tells me as she comes up to the counter. She's old, like really old. The kind of old that's so old you feel like you need to dig a grave ready just in case they die right there. I watch as she smiles down at Violet, placing her hand on her shoulder. She's dressed in a long pink skirt with a white blouse and tan vest, her white, wispy hair held back with a hair pin.

"A hundred?" I repeat. "Aren't these things like two million or something?"