Twenty-nine

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

The first thing I saw was Newt when we were younger. We were sitting side by side as he told me about his sister and their family parrot. He seemed sad as I dug through a bag, giving him one of my wooden animals I had brought with me, he took it gingerly, studying it before he smiled, clenching the animal between his fingers as he hugged me.       

My mind flashed to another memory, we were still young, but had been with WICKED for some time.

"My name is Thomas." The boy in my memory spoke softly whilepeeking at us from behind his bed. Newt and I stood in the door way. 

"My name is (y/n) and this is Newt." 

The memory warped and shifted until I was older, still looking at Tommy but this time we were near lab rooms. 

"You shouldn't be here." Tommy whispered to us in the dark of my memory.

"Neither should you." My whisper to him was harsh, and he looked at me with sad eyes. 

"WICKED needs me here with Teresa. I've grown out of our childish antics. Don't you remember what happened the last time we snuck out?" I turned from Tommy in the memory, only to be introduced to a new memory. 

"(y/n), I love you." Newt's voiced echoed in my mind as he held me in the memory. I leaned forward to kiss him, then the memory changed again. 

All of my memories flashed before me, even the ones I didn't know I had. They were flooding into my mind, overwhelming me. Overlapping the sounds of my memory were voices from someone who wasn't in the memory, like Newt or Clint or Jeff, but I could never fully pick up on what they were saying. 

"She'll get better-" 

"Just wait-" 

"His fault-" 

"(y/n), love, wake up!"

~

I groaned, fighting to open my eyelids. When I finally got my eyes open, I realized I was in my room. I slowly sat myself up, looking around. Newt was nowhere to be seen, but my wheelchair was at my bedside. I slowly slid into the chair, wincing at my sore muscles. I wheeled myself out of my room, stopping to grab my bag with Ben's stuff in it. Some part of me knew this way the last time I would be seeing this room. 

When I got outside, the sky was a lighter gray, and everyone was surrounding the Slammer. I tried to wheel myself over from the Homestead, but the ache in my arms made me pause every few moments. 

"What's going on?" I called out. A lot of the Gladers turned to look at me, shock dawning onto their faces. Murmurs of my name when around. "Stop giving me those stupid looks and tell me what the shuck is happening." Still, the Gladers only stared. I realized Newt, Dan, Minho, Clint, and Jeff were all missing from the group. I sighed and wheeled myself forward to look inside the Slammer. At the bars stood Tommy, and on the floor was Teresa. 

"Why are you guys in there?" Tommy looked at me, a frown pulling at his lips. 

"Gally decided that things weren't good enough in Newt's hands, that he needed to take control." I set my jaw, looking back at the other Gladers. 

"And you let the shank take over? Newt was chosen by Alby to be next leader, not Gally." Gally pushed himself to the front of the crowd. I slowly turned my chair to face him. 

"I'd be a more rational choice than you or Newt." I scoffed. 

"Yeah, as if your anger and trust issues are going to get you anywhere as a leader."