Twenty

~ Thomas' P.O.V. ~

I jolted awake. Above me was Alby, he placed a finger over his lips.

"Come with me." His voice was quiet. I slowly got up and looked around me as Alby walked away. The rest of the Gladers were asleep still. The sun wasn't even out yet. I turned back to look at Alby, wondering where he would be taking me while it was still dark out. 

I followed him to a part on the wall. In the stone, I could faintly see many names, some crossed out, but most were still there.  I quickly spotted Newt's and (y/n)'s, as they were beside each other. I looked a little ways below their name and found knelt down to read one of the crossed out names. George.

"Why are some of the names crossed out?"

"We have had some dark times Thomas. People panicked and went crazy." Alby was looking up at the wall. 

"Why did you bring me here? Why are you telling me this?" 

"Because, you're different from the others, you're curious, but you're a part of the Glade now." He pulled out a knife and a small stone, handing both to me. I turned back to the wall. Alby stood to the side, waiting. I started carving my name.

~

I passed the knife and stone to Alby when I finished. He smiled, dropping the stone to the ground and pocketing the knife. The sun was barely coming up. Alby sat against the wall, gesturing for me to sit too. 

"Do you always get up this early?" I looked to Alby. 

"Yes. I'm usually awake first so I don't miss anything if I'm asleep. I also enjoy the peace and quiet." I hummed, playing with my fingers as we both went back to being quiet. 

Suddenly, in the distance there was a faint scream. I shot up, ready to help, but Alby pulled me back. 

"What was that?" I looked to Alby, eyes wide.

"(y/n). She is only having a nightmare."

"And you aren't worried?" Alby softly laughed, looking to me.

"Of course I am, as both her friend and the leader of the Glade. But I know Newt is with her. He will calm her down. He is the only person who can." I looked in the distance at the Homestead. 

"Does she wake many people?" Alby shook his head. 

"Since we built the Homestead, no. She wakes Newt of course, but the Builders tried to make their room as soundproofed as possible. Sometimes I will wake, or Clint, but we are both light sleepers." (y/n) faintly screamed again.

"What does she dream about?" 

"Thomas, there are a number of things she could dream about."

"Like the Maze." Alby looked at me, seeming surprised. "Newt told me when I asked about the walls." Alby nodded. 

"I am sure she had dreamed of the Maze a few times, but I'm sure that Newt has too. Perhaps Minho as well. I know both feel a different kind of blame for her night spent in there. But she doesn't talk about her dreams. Sometimes there is something different about her when she wakes, as if she knows something that the rest of us don't." The air was quiet as Alby leaned against the wall. (y/n) screams had stopped. I leaned back against the wall with Alby, and we both sat in the silence. 

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V ~

I sat in a room with a bunch of other kids. We all looked to be around the same age, six or seven, but some looked to be younger. Newt was to my left, and a girl with raven black hair and piercing blue eyes was to my right. My hand was cuffed to Newt's hand.