"Know That I Will Never Marry."

Start from the beginning

"She's in room 307."

I nod and leave Laf and Mark to arrange what type of treatment Laura would have to endure next.

Walking through the halls I tried to keep my composure. I didn't want Laura to see that I was uneasy in case she knew nothing about what was going on.

I found my way to 307 and slowly creaked the door open to find Laura laying on her side wide awake. Her eyes were puffy and cheeks were tear stained. She didn't look at me when I walked in and closed the door behind me. I could feel the tightness in my chest starting to suffocate me as I watched her sniffle through the nasal cannula in front of me.

I quietly walk over to her and without a word lie behind her. She still doesn't move, so I wrap my arms around her and pull her close to me. With her back against my chest I felt her slow breathing against me.

She finally started to move but only to place her hand over mine that was draped across her very thin stomach.
We laid there in silence for awhile just taking in each others breath. I didn't want to force her to talk, and I knew if she wanted to she would. Her hands were cold but soft against mine. She ran her fingertips across the small veins that popped out of the back of my hand.
It feels much better when it's her hands rather than mine.

Her breathing was heavy now as she shifted in my arms.
"You know.. I'll never get the simple things." She says licking her chap lips afterwards. Her tone was raspy and sad.

"What do you mean?" I say keeping my voice calm and low.

"Surely you must know. I won't have that perfect life everyone dreams of having."

"Laura.."

"I won't have that perfect house, a dog maybe, or a job at my favorite news letter. It's not going to happen."

"Laur, we don't have to talk about this."

She stays quiet for a second as if her mind was thinking of all the possibilities she may never get to have.

"I will never marry..."

"Laura Eileen Hollis."

She turns around in my arms and looks at me. Her eyes were still a little red from crying before. I shake my head against the pillow and raise my hand to gently run my fingertips on her cheek moving the hair from her face.

"I love you." I whisper to her, placing my hand on her cheek. She takes a deep breath and melts into my touch letting her shoulders relax.

"I love you too."

"This wasn't exactly how this was supposed to go." I say sitting up.

She opens her eyes and raises an eyebrow in confusion while slowly sitting up with me.

I rustle through my pocket full of receipts from the sudden plane ticket and expenses I had to pay that evening to find my gift at the bottom of my pocket.

"Carm?" She says placing a hand on my knee.

"Everything was planned, but sometimes life can be unpredictable." I hold the case in my hand tightly.

"What's that-"

"Laura, I love you. And I want more time with you. I want more than anything to spend the rest of time forever devoted to you."

"Carmilla what are you-"

I show her my gift. A ring as old as time was held perfectly in a proposal box. It was my birth mother's, only now it was refurbished and sized to fit her and look perfect.

Her mouth suddenly opened and she places her hands over it with tears forming in her eyes.

"I.. I don't know what's to come of these next few months. But whatever the case, I refuse to leave your side Laura. So.. will you do me the honor.." I place the box with the ring in her hand, "and be my one and only bride?"

My hands were shaking but my voice was strong and sure. She nods frantically smiling with tears in her eyes.

"I.. I would love nothing more Carmilla."

I immediately reach forward gently pulling her into a kiss as she wraps her arms around me tightly. I could feel her smile in the kiss and it made me feel complete.

Clapping is heard from behind us causing us to break apart smiling. Lafontaine and Laura's father were standing at the door clapping and smiling at the scene before them.

"Dad, Laf, did you-"

"She asked my permission before the trip. A well mannered old fashioned gal, this one is, I couldn't say no." Her father says walking up to Laura hugging her gently. Lafontaine nods in agreement.

"Thank you sir." I say watching them hug. When they let go Laura grabs my hand and I squeeze hers.
"I hope you don't mind a small ceremony and a sudden date?"

"Sudden?"

I nod.

"How's tomorrow sound, cupcake?"

She smiles brightly.

"Not soon enough."

- - - - - - -

A/N: You people are amazing and your comments are AMAZING. Thank you for the support!!