Chapter 34: Winning

Mulai dari awal

Nari didn’t reply.

Andrew sighed, and walked out of her room.  She watched him go, silent and unmoving in her despair. How could Andrew lock Chenn up when he’d done so much for her?

***

Chenn sat in his cell absorbing himself in a book. He’d spent ten years of his life in a cell just like this - bleak and unadorned - and being back in one wasn’t having any good effects on him. Already he felt confined and claustrophobic. He fought hard against the rising panic, but with little success.

The only way he knew to combat it was reading. Fortunately for him, Andrew had been quite willing to give him almost anything he asked for. He was getting plenty of clean water, food, and he had enough books to keep him occupied for a while.

He had a few bright cordless lamps to light up the cell so that it didn't seem dreary or dark like the one in jail had been. But the iron bars and grey interior with its single metal bunk and a small table with two chairs were so similar to the ones he'd had in jail that he might as well be living back there again anyway. It didn't matter that he had light or that Nari had asked Andrew to give him fresh flowers every day to give him something pretty to look it.

Yet he couldn’t focus on any of the things that distracted him from his predicament no matter how hard he tried. He wanted to know how the battle was going. Was Andrew winning now? Or was Amory still winning despite all Chenn’s hard work to be sure he never would?

The door rattled open. Andrew stepped in.

“Nari asked me to talk to you. She said you knew a way that I could end this war now.”

Chenn nodded. “Yeah. But, out of curiosity, why would you listen to me? I thought I was your enemy.” He couldn’t keep the bitterness entirely out of his voice.

Andrew didn’t miss it either. The man rarely missed anything it seemed. “I’m sorry about this, Chenn, but we can’t risk that you’re spying on us or in some way compromising us. This war and its outcome are too important.” He sat down in the chair across from Chenn, who had set down his book, Don Quixote.

“I understand.” Chenn stood up, marking his place in the book he’d been reading.

“I hope that you do. As soon as the war is over, you’ll be released, of course. For now, though, I hope that you’ll not be too upset with our meager hospitality.” Andrew's voice was soft.

“What did you come for, sir?” Chenn didn't want to speak about pleasantries. "Please just get to the point."

But why not spend time speaking about meaningless things? What else would he do other than go back to trying to read his books in this bleak, grey cell? The ones he couldn't focus on anyway? What was the point? At least Andrew was company. No one else visited him.

Andrew sighed. Why did Chenn have to be so hostile? Then again, Andrew had locked him up, so he supposed it made sense that Chenn wouldn’t act in an appreciative or friendly manner. “I came because I wanted you to help me.”

“You’d ask your enemy for help?” Chenn turned to face him, arms crossed, eyes widening.

“Chenn, I don’t believe that you’re my enemy, but I can’t take the risk.” Andrew smiled at Chenn.

Chenn didn't return the smile. “Fine. I’ll tell you. Did you bring the Scepter?”

“Yes.” Andrew pulled it out of his satchel.

Chenn took it from him carefully, and started demonstrating.

***

An hour later, Andrew had learned all Chenn knew how to teach. It was up to him to make use of it.