Chapter 28: Plots

Start from the beginning

If Amory found him, Chenn knew he would die. No one else was around, and he couldn't be alone with Amory or Bjorn ever. It was too much of a risk. Amory would wait to kill him until a concealed, convenient time presented itself so long as Chenn stayed out of the way, but if he were seen now, Amory would kill him without hesitation.

 Amory and Bjorn began moving again, and Chenn’s heart rate began to steady out.

As soon as they were out of sight, Chenn bolted for his room. He had to get out of East Base. He couldn't stay here. Not if Amory and Bjorn were planning to kill him. And he was sure they were now. After what he'd just heard, he'd be a fool to doubt it.

 He began packing his stuff up, but then he stopped. Fear was making him careless. If he packed up all his stuff, Amory was sure to get wind of it, and come after him. Not only that, Chenn had to get Nari out. She was much stronger than she had been a week ago, but Chenn didn’t know if she could handle it yet.

 He’d have to wait. Meanwhile, plans to escape alive and with the Book, Wand, and Scepter needed to be laid, and Chenn wasn’t waiting to begin those. They were essential to his and Nari’s survival.

It was then that he noticed a small white slip of paper on his bed. It had writing in Amory's neat, scrunched script.

You are to take the girl to a storage room. A guard will be waiting for you at the infirmary. Meet him there at 0500 tomorrow and don't be late. If you fail to do as I say, you will be branded a traitor and locked away. I don't anticipate that this will be a problem for you though.

Amory

Chenn crumpled the paper into a tiny ball and hurled it at the trash can. It missed, but he didn't notice. Collapsing on the bed, he buried his face in the pillow, wanting to cry, but no tears came.

It was just like Amory to do something like this.

Amory knew that Chenn felt guilty for what had happened to Nari the first time he'd left her, and now he was making Chenn put her into yet another confinement. Would the torture never end? How can I do this? How can I put her into yet another locked room where I know that she will be scared and alone? I already did that once, and she almost died. I can't do it again. And then another thing occured to him. Amory just gave me the thing I need to free her. I will know where she is being kept without having to sneak around or risk getting caught figuring it out. I should be thanking that two-faced jackal for his cruelty, not getting angry at him for forcing me to be the one to imprison her again.

 ***

Chenn walked into the infirmary at 0500 with a guard straight on his heels. He walked in silence, footing sure and soft, but it seemed that his footsteps rang and thudded like a gloomy funeral bell in the stillness of the infirmary.

Nurses sat at monitors reading books and watching the various screens to be sure that none of the patients went into a critical condition during the night. But none of them spoke, and a deathly silence seemed to hover over everything, oppressive and unending.

Chenn flicked a brief glance at them, but he didn't notice much about them before he became absorbed in his thoughts and the conflict raging within him once more.

Despite the knowledge that Amory had given him a large advantage with this most recent torture, it still stabbed at Chenn's heart to imprison Nari again. He hoped she would understand that he didn't have a choice, and that he would be coming back for her. He didn't want her to think he was abandoning her, but with a guard standing right there, he couldn't tell her that.

 He stood beside Nari, who was sleeping. He hovered a moment before letting his finger tips settle on her shoulder.

 Her eyes flew open, startled and frightened. There was a fatigue in them. She hadn’t slept well, once again. When would that stop? It had to or she’d never regain her strength to be able to move out.

"Nari, it’s me, Chenn.”

 “Chenn?” She smiled, then yawned.

 “Yeah. The guard and I, we have orders from Amory to move you to the storage room now.” Chenn whispered.

 Her eyes widened, and she looked away. Her hands bunched and knotted the blanket, and her jaw was clenched. Her hands trembled on the blanket, and her voice shook when she replied. “Now?”

 “You heard him, girl. Now.” The guard marched over, brisk and demanding, grabbing Nari’s arm.

She got a dazed look on her face as she whispered once more, “Now?”

 Chenn pried the guard’s fingers off Nari’s arm. “Yeah, Nari. Now.”

 He glared at the guard. The guard hissed and moved off.

 Chenn took Nari’s hands, picking her up out of the bed. Her nightdress fluttered around her ankles gently. She wrapped her arms around his neck, clinging to him. Her auburn hair was splayed in gentle curls across his chest as she laid her head on his shoulder. It was like holding a little child who’d been frightened by the dark.

She shivered in the chill of the morning. He held her a little closer, and then cocked his head at the bed. “Would you hand me a blanket please, sir?”

The guard grumbled. “I’m not your slave, and I haven’t got any orders to be giving her any such thing.”

Chenn glared at the guard. “Give me the blanket. She’s cold.”

“Chenn…” Nari whimpered.

“Nari, you are going to have a blanket. You’re in no condition to argue, so be quiet.” Chenn murmured, voice brooking no arguments.

Nari just huddled closer to him, not protesting. She looked wide-eyed at the guard, arms locked around Chenn’s neck.

“Fine. I’ll get you the stupid blanket.” The guard whipped the blanket off the bed, and handed it to Chenn.

Nari loosened her grip on him long enough to take the blanket and put it around her shoulders. Then she put her arms back around his neck, laying her head back on his shoulder.

“Aren’t you two so cozy?” The guard sneered.

Chenn gave him an irritated look. “Shut up. Lead me to whatever storage room you want to lock her into, now.”

“Oh, whatever, you disrespectful brat. I should report you to Amory.” The guard spat on the floor.

“He gave me orders to put her in the storage room. Now move so I can do my part of the job.” Chenn hissed, fed up with the guard's rude behavior.

“Yeah, yeah. You young people. Always so impatient!”

Chenn didn’t respond. The guard glared at him, and then walked forward through the infirmary. Chenn followed, not talking to the guard. Nari didn’t say anything, but he could feel her trembling through the blanket, and a few tears leaked down her cheek onto his shoulder.

“It’s alright, Nari. You’ll be fine.” He whispered, rubbing her back.

She didn’t flinch away, but took a shuddering breath, and relaxed. Her shivering was still there, but it was lessened.

Chenn felt better knowing she was trusting him. It might not last for long. He had decided to tell her the truth about her sister’s death, and she’d probably hate him after he told her.