Chapter 5: New Beginnings

Start from the beginning

"Is don't think so princess."

"Excuse me?" I whipped around to face him, twisting his hand so he had to release me. "And who are you to tell me what I can and can't do?"

"I tolds you princess. I'm Spot Conlon – King of Brooklyn. And seein' as how yous stayin' with me Is think I got the right to tell yous what yous can and can'ts do. Plus, Jackie Boy made me promise to look out for yous. He says yous trouble."

"I'ms not trouble!" His eyes getting narrower when he heard my tone.

"Right" he said sighing and shaking his head at me. "I'll tell yous what, yous can wonder all yous want, but yous are not allowed to leave this dock without an escort and mys permission. Clear?"

"What! That's not fair! The dock is small and there's barely anythin' ta do. And..."

"Is that clear?" Spot interrupted his voice firm and loud. I shivered a bit at its intensity. I glared at him and then looked down at the ground and to the left. "Answer me Mys" Spot snapped, clearly getting impatient.

"Fine" I said quietly not looking at him.

"Good. Don't get into too much trouble sweet face" Spot chuckled as he turned around to leave me. I rolled my eyes in his direction before turn to continue on my way. I continued walking before I was startled by a newsies who jumped down right in front of me, from a crate, and blocked me way.

"Watch it!" I snapped before realizing who it was. It was Ace.

"Maybe yous should watch it" he said back smiling. I cocked my head out of confusion. Why was he smiling? "Wes haven't been properly introduced. I'm..."

"Ace" I finished. "Is know who yous are" I said trying to get around him. However, Ace stepped in front of me again. "Do yous mind?" I confronted him.

"Look Is think wes started off on the wrong foot" he said. I blinked. "I had a bit much to drink and Is didn't know yous were a goil and..."

"Yeah yous did have a bit much and whys does it that I'ms a goil?"

"Well, society kinda frowns on soakin' goils" he chuckled. I rolled my eyes and tried to move around him again before he stepped in front of me. "I'ms sorry" he said. "Look if wes gonna be livin' together and sellin' together can wes just call a truce?" he said kindly smiling. He actually seemed like he meant it.

"Alright" I said half smiling back. He raised his hand, spit and held it out in front for me to accept. I looked at Ace's hand and then his face. He was smiling and nodding at me to accept his shake. Clearly Ace wasn't going to give up. I slowly closed my eye, raised my hand, shot a wad of spit into it, and clasped Ace's. The feeling was thoroughly disgusting. I even gagged a bit.

"Great!" Ace said smiling bigger than before. "I guess I'll sees yous at dinner" he said finally stepping to the side and out of my way. I smiled at him as he left and continued walking towards the end of the dock.

Reaching the end of the dock, I froze. How easy would it be to just run now?, I thought silently. I looked back over my shoulder to see if there was even an opportunity. I noticed Spot up on his perch glancing down at what appeared to be a book. He reads? Wow, I can't believe he does something so normal. He then looked up and directly at me. I flipped my head back over my shoulder so I didn't have to see his glare. God, I hope he's looking away. I took a step towards the end of the dock, testing my boundaries.

"Yous pushin' your luck" Spot yelled, warning me. Not paying attention I took another step forward, so my one foot was no longer considered on the dock side. "Mys" Spot snapped slamming his book down and making his way down from his perch. I backed up, so I was technically on the dock, pivoted and started to walk back. I obviously couldn't push my boundaries anymore than I had or else Spot might just kill me. Oh dear God, I thought as I saw Spot walking towards me furious. I didn't expect him to be that upset.

"Is thought Is told yous your boundaries" he growled grabbing my arm and dragging me behind him.

"Is was just testin' them" I said.

"Don't get smart with me sweet face."

"Or What?" I asked, stopping abruptly and immediately regretting it. Spot stopped as soon as I did, paused and then turned around very slowly. His eyes were harsh and pierced me. He took a few steps toward me and looked down, kind of getting in my face.

"Or I'll soak ya" he said quietly. I shivered at how quiet he was. My mouth got the better of me and I continued on.

"Even though Is a goil?"

"Even though yous a goil" Spot responded still glaring down at me. "Is did it once. Don't think Is won't do it again" he finished as he turned around and continued to drag me back to the lodging house.

It was close to dinner time when we arrived and I chose to pick a seat next to Ace. I didn't totally trust him considering he almost tried to soak me, but after today he didn't seem so bad. Ace was on my left and another boy named Sunny to my right. Since today was my first day and it already didn't go too well, I decided to keep my mouth shut for all of dinner. Afterwards I headed up stairs to take a shower. I stripped down in the bathroom as the hot water ran. I let my hair down and out of its constriction braid. It brushed my bare back as it cascaded down. I loved that feeling. I hopped into the shower and let the hot water beat on me and wash my worries away. Maybe tomorrow wouldn't be too bad. Just as I began to lather the silky soap up on my body someone entered the bathroom.

"Hey, do ya mind!" I snapped as I poked my head out of the shower to see Spot at the sink.

"Not at all sweetheart." He smirked at me hiding behind the shower curtain before returning to his task at the sink.

"Get out!"

"Remember, Is said shared bathroom princess? Suck it up."

"You could at least be a bit more considerate" I shot at him as he spun around and glared at me. I ducked my head back in the shower, regretting my response. The shower curtain sprung open a little ways to reveille Spot's intense face.

"Hey!" I grabbed the rest of the curtain to hide my body.

"Last time Is checked, yous were stay where? Oh yeah, that's right, my place. So if anyone needs to be more considerate princess, that'd be yous."

He let go of the shower curtain and proceeded to walk out of the steamy bathroom. I could now confidently say that I was a bit terrified of Spot Conlon. Still shocked at what just happened I let the shower curtain fall from around me and I finished my shower. I exited the bathroom and into my room instantly shivering at the drastic temperature change. I quickly grabbed one of my oversized night shirts from the dresser and slipped it over my body, letting the towel from my body fall to the floor. Leaving it there I dried my hair with the other towel as I turned on the night stand lamp and turned off the main light. The soft light from the lamp surrounded me and made the room look a lot more warm and inviting. I dropped the towel for my hair beside my bed and slipped under the sheets. The soft sheets and pillow formed to my body. How could Jack leave me with such a person, I thought as a tear slid down the side of my face. I closed my eyes as more tears flowed down my cheeks. Tomorrow is another day. Just take it one day at a time. One day at a time, I told myself till I drifted to sleep.

~ Ooooo, that tension! I hoped you liked it. Thanks for reading and please give me feedback! Chapter 6 will hopefully be posted sometime this weekend. ~