Chapter 11: With the Rebels

Start from the beginning

She hated it already.

Nari almost threw up as the inertia at which she had been traveling through the Gate spit her out into the world. She hated that. It hadn’t been too bad when she went through the Gate on the jeep with Indri coming here for this mission, but it had been like that the first time she came to West Gate, and when she headed out for her first mission.

The guards noticed her discomfort.

“If you’re going to puke, get it over with.” 

She shook her head, feeling sick. His blunt manner about it wasn’t helping.

“I’ll be fine.” She managed.

Bob nodded. “Let’s go then.”

They marched off with her between them heading for East Base.

***

As soon as Nari entered Amory's office, she completed the same ritual as she always did upon entering a new place where she felt threatened or uncertain. She noted the exits. And the exits - rather exit - were located behind her to her relief. 

Next, she took in the lay of the area, remaining silent. She didn't want to disturb Amory just yet. She wanted more time to examine the office and size him up. 

Unlike Andrew's office, there were no spots of color. Everything within the office was the same shade of mundane, boring grey. Her eyes were tired of looking at it already. 

The desk was metal - unlike Andrew's, which had a transparent glass surface instead of a wood or grey metal one. The chairs were grey as well, but they did not have cushions to make them comfortable. Just a glance told her that they were meant to put a person on edge and paying attention. Comfort was not a keyword for Amory's office here. 

The walls were just a shade lighter grey and the ceiling was white. She looked down at the floor, which was concrete with one or two rugs - once again, grey - laying on the floor. A small fireplace of grey stone sat in a corner with a matching grey, wood bookshelf sitting beside it with a few slender volumes with black and brown bindings sitting upon the bookshelf. 

Nothing else graced the small office. No other color relieved the boredom and monotony of the grey. Whoever decorated this place needs to get lessons in interior design. Nari contemplated, feeling constricted and claustrophobic in the tiny office with so little color. 

She needed to move or she would go mad. She walked to the desk where Amory sat, footsteps silent despite the concrete floor and lack of rugs.

Nari stood before Amory's desk, staring at him. 

He noticed her then. Looking up from his meal and paperwork, he glared at her. "What do you want? Hurry up! You're wasting precious time."

She suppressed the urge to roll her eyes at him. "I came to tell you about troop movement from West Base." She murmured, attempting to seem deferential.

His glare hardened. "What do you know?"

She huffed, folding her arms across her chest. This man was the most pig-headed person she knew. "What I know is vague, but I thought it might be of interest to you. If it isn't, I'll just be going. I'll pack up, leave you to your war, and take my information with me." She snapped, the servilitude act crumbling before it got its start.

He leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms.

He did look a lot like his brother, Nari realized. He had the same piercing eyes and posture. But Andrew's eyes and posture did not hold such poignant menace as his brother's. His brother made her want to curl up in a hole and die - not an experience she appreciated.