Chapter Twenty One

Start from the beginning

The father joined his wife, placing an item in his daughter's hand. "Since the day you were born you made a fuss out of everything."

"You were never around to know me after you figured I wasn't worth as much as Cyrus." Antionette spat savagely. "And giving me necklaces won't make up for what you have done!"

Vale felt someone nudge her slightly. Her attention breaking off the family upstairs. They slowly faded as the Danger Room came back into focus.

"You pick up something on your radar?" It was Jubilee. Like Jacob and Antionette she was accepted to train with the X-Men. She had been the first student Xavier considered they allow in.

"How could you tell?" Vale said.

"You're eyes kinda go dim and you're eyebrows just shot up. What was it?"

Vale began to tell her what she heard, but Jacob interrupted; his battle with Kurt had been finished just moments ago. Catching on, he then told them about how earlier she had effected the imaginary people to a point their shadows were ghosting the institute grounds. Kurt was kind enough to fill in Vale that there were shadows all around Antionette when she was dueling Peter.

They continued to swap information and agreed on Vale keeping them informed on Antionette's conversation.

It was silent for a moment. Almost like after something fragile had broken and everyone was left staring at it's remains.

Then the sound of tutting filled her ears. "Ladies do not raise their voices. Always forgetting your manners and never being thankful."

"The blacksmith charged us horrendously for smelting down Cyrus for our last minute orders." her father complained as if the subject was spilled coffee. "Ah, and adding the necklace it could've out cost all of our china plates!"

Vale couldn't decide if she was more frightened that they melted their son into a necklace or more curious to what the 'orders' where. She repeated what he said anyway. The group was rather concerned as well.

She could normally hear everyone's breathing, something always in the background. Antionette's breaths sounded as if it was broadcasted out of a megaphone.

"YOU--" Antionette began.

"Ah, inside voice." her mother interjected. "Cyrus was a good boy, he behaved, was thankful, was very resourceful, oh never did he talk back; the perfect son, he was. Except when he decided to bleach his hair, ugh so you weren't alone--"

"IT WAS THE ONLY THING HE DID FOR HIMSELF!" she shouted. "WHEN YOU WERE MAKING BILLIONS OFF OF HIM HE NEVER TOLD YOU HOW MUCH IT DRAINED HIM, HE COULDN'T! HE WANTED YOU TO BE PROUD OF HIM!"

"Cyrus wouldn't have wanted you to be so angry!" her mother chided.

"YOU NEVER KNEW WHAT HE WANTED! EVEN...," Antionette's voice cracked, but it didn't lose it's strength. "even after him having to die for your bank account to be full, you still don't understand him. Cyrus's ability brought you riches and power but don't you think for a second any of it was because he felt thankful."

The atmosphere around the family sharpened; Vale could still hear Antionette's words reflect in her brain. It took some time before she delivered an update on their conversation.

The X-Men's snooping session was quickly interrupted by Ravens deadly voice as she called an end to their training. What the heroine did not catch was as the group left was a select few had gathered around Vale. Intent to hear more.

Antionette's parents were lingering far too long in the mansion than any of them wanted. They were communicating by writing and low whispers like if they breathed a word too loud everything they owned would be thrown into an active volcano. Vale grew aggravated by their faint words and the sound of a pen scribbling on paper. She was sure that maybe some food would distract her from the Pennal's shady actions.

However not even getting one bite into her macorni and cheese did Peter Maximoff come bolting into the kitchen.

"Xavier. Hank's lab. Now." He said quickly before running off.

Vale took a second to process what he fired at her before scooping up her bowl as fast as she could and sprinted down to the hidden elevator, shoving the cheesy noodles in her mouth as she went.

All of the X-Men had assembled in Hank's Lab, including the new recruits. Vale had been in the lab only once and it seemed like such a long time ago. The chemicals she smelled once before still remained but most of the machinery had been replaced with a enormous jet. In front of the jet was Professor Xavier, Raven, and Hank, who was hunched over a computer.

"Ah. We're all here, so lets get on with it then." said the Professor professionally. "How does a mission sound to you lot?"

Vale choked on her macorni.

6:27, September 14, 1983.

Never in her wildest dreams did she think they let her join in on the mission. No, it wouldn't have ever happened. Vale thought she'd screwed up so badly last time that they would never let her be apart of the X-Men. Technically she wasn't an X-Man, but it was possibly the best thing to know that they trust her again.

Or that she was the last option seeing that four of the X-Men had an accident while training two days ago leaving them in no condition to fight.

Vale felt her stomach drop as they descended to the ground, she ran Hank's words through her head for the hundredth time.

"This is not going to be easy. This guy is powerful and deadly. Find him, and try you're best to not die."

"This is crazy." Jacob mumbled next to her in disbelief.

"C'mon, Pryor." Jubilee laughed shakily. "Thailand beautiful this time of year." 

Vale gripped onto her seat belt with all her might as the plane landed onto the ground. The mission had officially started.