Chapter Twenty One

Start from the beginning

"That's new." said Jacob quietly. Vale became more puzzled than previous.

Peter rushed forward again and again. The result remained the same. He went to the left. SMACK! The right. SMACK! Beating the barrier with his baseball bat repeatedly did nothing. He circled all around the wordless girl and still the invisible obstacle didn't budge. Peter bent over to catch his breath, leaving the bat to roll out to the sidelines.

"What are you playing at?" he huffed. "What is this?" Peter gestured to the air blocking Antionette.

She stepped closer to Peter.

"You can't see them." Antionette said. Her voice hollow and empty of any emotion. "Let me show you." She lifted her free hand to his arm.

Antionette's energy pattern flickered just slow enough for Vale to catch it. She could barely keep herself from falling over at the image her power projected. It was so captivating she hardly noticed Kurt steadying her balance. Vale wished her mind had a playback button so she could watch the flash of perfect color over and over again.

Her breathtaking scene was immediately cut off by the cry erupting from Peter. Antionette flinched backward, letting go of the mutant.

He sucked in the air like it was the only thing keeping him from death. "T-that was not fun." Peter panted.

An unsettling silence clouded the vast room as Raven called an end to the match. Not a second later did the massive automatic door opened from behind them.

"Antionette," called the Professor. "you're parents are here."

17:30, September 2, 1983.

When Antionette left it was almost like it was an usual training session. Nothing was questionable or abnormal, well for mutant standards, and you could hear the blood curdling voice of Raven in an unhappy mood. She was terrifying as ever.

"Kurt." Raven barked. The boy moseyed to the mat. "Jacob."

"Oh God." he muttered as he joined Kurt in the makeshift arena.

"Choose your weapons." she told the two boys sharply.

Right as Kurt cautiously lifted up the long sword Vale lost interest . As much as observing her friends battle was amusing, the conversation between Antionette and her parents swayed her curiosity. Everything around her became irrelevant.

It was like the room and it's inhabitants where plunged underwater. She could still hear them, smell them, watch their movements, but it was dialed back to a minimum. Meanwhile her attention zoomed to Antionette and her company, their voices got louder and their energy came into focus.

Antionette shuffled her parents out of sight of anyone and shut the door to her room abruptly. "You've finally gotten the spare time to visit, have you?" she hissed, her voice as loud as thunder and dangerous enough as lighting "Were the party guests refusing to leave without hearing your tales of sailing the Mediterranean? Or were you to heartbroken over your business collapsing?"

Her mother made a tutting noise and walked forward to her daughter, heels clicking on the hardwood flooring.

"Oh darling, you were always one for the dramatics." She paused to fix Antionette's hair. Her voice was the equivalent to nails on a chalk board. Vale couldn't help but wince when she spoke.