Chapter 28 - A New Beginning

Start from the beginning

-"Aaron!" Zak yelled, trying to get his attention. "Is Ana with you?"

-"No ... we have a whole fucking search party looking for you, Keane and Ana."

-"She isn’t there?" Zak said suddenly feeling dizzy.

-"No, listen, Zak, what the hell happened? I watched you ... You got shot, and then ..." He heard the phone moving like Aaron was rubbing his face. "Nick and I started to run for you, and Ana ... she ran to you, and we watched Keane screaming about explosives and he jumped on top of you and Ana ... " Aaron tried to catch his breath, his voice was muffled, like he was trying to wipe away the awful memories. "Oh Jesus Christ Zak, I watched all of you get blown up!" Aaron cried, obviously extremely upset. "The whole thing just blew up ... when the fires cleared Nick and I ran over but you were all gone. We have been looking for hours."

-"I really have no fucking clue what happened, I got shot and then I woke up at home. I got to find Ana!"

-"Well maybe Ana is at home."

-"Aaron you are a fucking genius!" But Zak recalled that Ana's phone had been damaged at the cabin. "Wait, Ana doesn't have her phone, call that girlfriend of yours, Cathy, and tell her to find Ana, look everywhere! Her mother's house, her dad's old house ... I'm going to get a new cell and on the soonest flight to Florida."

Aaron agreed and both men hung up. Zak then put a quick call to his assistant, she ran errands for him when he didn’t have time and took care of his appointments and things like that.  He asked her get him a new phone, it didn’t matter what it was, just anything that would take his old number. He then booked a flight to Florida which unfortunately did not leave until later tonight.

Zak's assistant, Jeanne, was over at his house barely an hour after he got off the phone with her. It was one reason he adored this woman, she was efficient and didn’t mess around. When he needed something done, she got it done in record time.

-"I didn’t expect you back for another two weeks." The small woman said as he let her in the front door.

-"Yeah same here." Zak mumbled as he grabbed the bag she offered him.

He dug out the phone, which looked exactly like his old phone, including the protective back cover to it. Wasting no time, he turned the phone on, and to his surprise it even including his old address book. He looked up at the middle-aged woman in front of him in wonder.

-"Remind me to give you an extra bonus at Christmas." Zak said as he scrolled down to Aaron's name and texted him that he had his phone back.

Jeanne gave him a smile but before leaving she gave him a worried glance.

-"Zak? You look like hell, and I'm not sure what is on your shirt but you should shower and grab a nap before going to Florida."

Zak looked down at himself and gave a curt nod.

-"Yeah ..."

-"Is there anything I can do?" She asked concerned.

-"No ... no, I'm fine, I just need to find Ana."

And right on cue, his phone angrily vibrated in his hand. Glancing at the number, it was not one he recognized. He contemplated not answering but after a moment he went ahead and picked up.

-"Hello?"

Jeanne waved goodbye to him and let herself out, but he ignored her.

-"Zak?"

Right away he knew the posh, British accent and for the first time since he had met the guy he was happy to hear his voice.

-"Keane? Where the fuck are you?"