Chapter 3 - Goodbye Vegas

Chapter 3

Goodbye Vegas

oOo

We're born alone, we live alone, and we die alone. Only through our love and friendships can we created an illusion for the moment that we're not alone. – Orson Welles.

oOo

Traffic in Las Vegas was a strange thing. It could take twenty minutes to simply go a mile down the road if someone left at the wrong time, and unlike other major cities Las Vegas did not have set timing for rush hours, it just happened. This was one of those moments. No matter how many times Zak changed lanes or glared at the other motorists, it did nothing to help move traffic along faster.

Zak felt the apprehension inside of him grow by the minute.

-"Want to talk about what went down last night?" Aaron asked breaking the silent tension in the car as his gripped on the passenger door handle tightened. Zak 's driving was making him quite anxious.

-"Not really." Zak replied sharply.

-"You remember what happened, I take it?" Aaron gave his friend a side glance.

-"Some of it ... It's still kind of fuzzy, like a dream you are trying to remember..."

Aaron was silent for a few moments, but his curiosity was killing him and he had to know who could have snared his stuff best friend into a marriage proposal.

-"Who's the girl?" He asked.

-"No idea ..." Zak was in no mood to talk about the woman.

But he did remember her, well somewhat. Ana. He had walked into one of the many casinos of Vegas with the intentions of playing some cards. He wasn't very good at most card games, but for some reason he craved the atmosphere that the casino brought. He wanted to get lost in the crowd, be another face in the sea of people. He wanted to forget he was that guy. The guy who made contact with the other side on a daily basis.  The guy who saw the most disturbing things in his head because of it. He loved his job but sometimes ... it was very draining.

Zak had sat down at one of the poker tables and dropped a few chips to play. He didn't often gamble, and when he did, it was only a few dollars. He had taken a seat next to a woman who had seemed to be lost in her thoughts, and next to her was a man in his fifties, who had a large stack of chip built up in front of him. After a few games the woman next to him let out a frustrated sigh. Zak had glanced at her. The woman wore a pouty expression on her face.

When he had first sat down he had not paid much attention, but now that he was looking at his neighbor he was a little surprised. Although she wasn't what some would call a drop dead gorgeous beauty, she had a very subtle and classic exquisiteness to her. Her long dark brown hair was pulled up into a messy bun on the top of her head that left a few curls of hair caressing her porcelain face. She wore a black top that came off her shoulders and a pair of dark blue jeans.

-"I fold ..." She mumbled looking at her cards as if they had sprouted a third head.

Zak found himself closing his eyes and savoring her melodic lilt of her voice. It reached deep inside him and brought a little light to what was a very dark place inside him. He also could tell she had no idea what she was doing.

He did something then that he rarely did. He scooted his seat closer to hers and he helped her play, showing her how to play the game properly. As he did so he had also found her company rather nice. She wasn't demanding, or required anything of him. They ended up having a couple of drinks, which turned into more than just two. It had been more like a dozen ... or was it twenty? ... Either way he had lost track and got a bit too carried away.