Epilogue

It's amazing the fuss that finding the money created. We had to call the cops, who came in, took Costa and arrested the old woman's son too for hiding the stash – Costa ratted him out. Then we were questioned at the station, as if we'd had anything to do with the crime. It was hours later before we had time for the bail bond formalities. We got a check for two thousand dollars and Jackson let me keep half of it. Yay.

There would be money coming from the insurance company of the bank too, for finding Costa's stash, but Jackson said that it would go to keeping the agency solvent. Since it would ensure that I had a job in the future, I didn't mind.

The next day, I had my first free Saturday in forever and money burning in my pocket. I should've rushed to the mall at the first light, but I couldn't muster the energy to go shopping. I could barely get out of bed. I'd been running on adrenaline ever since being held at gunpoint, and now I was all out.

So I did what any normal person would do: went to my parents' and let them fuss over me. It especially helped that Dad said I'd done a good job. I didn't tell him about being held at gunpoint. I'm not an idiot.

But I didn't feel heroic either. I felt at a crossroads. I'd successfully ceased being a waitress, but I wasn't a PI yet. To be honest, I wasn't entirely sure Jackson wanted to keep me, even though he'd said "See you on Monday," as his parting words.

But it wasn't solely about whether or not Jackson would keep me either. I felt like I couldn't properly start a new life without having closure with the old one. And that meant coming to terms with my divorce.

I would have to go see Scott.

I really didn't want to, but if I was brave enough to face a bank robber, I would be brave enough to do this. Though not brave enough to do it alone. So I forced Trevor to put on some clothes and come with me.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" he asked when we entered the Irish bar on 18 Street.

"Don't worry. I'll just go and say hello to my ex-husband and ask how he's been these past six years. Nothing dramatic."

The place was jam-packed even though it wasn't a game night, and it didn't take me long to figure out why. On the tiny stage at the end of the bar was a man with a guitar performing to an enraptured audience. We couldn't get very close, but I didn't mind. It gave me a perfect opportunity to just watch Scott in his element.

He was still good. Listening to him brought back all the memories of why I'd fallen so madly for him that I'd left everything to follow him. His voice made me feel like the third sip of whiskey, warm and tingly; he was sexy, and incredibly charismatic. In the packed bar, where he couldn't possibly see me, it felt like he was singing just for me. I leaned against Trevor and simply enjoyed the performance.

When it was over I applauded wildly with the rest of the audience. The crowd began to mill, some to their places or out the door, many towards Scott. I allowed the latter crowd to pull me closer to him. I was increasingly nervous, and I had to keep repeating to myself that this couldn't be worse than being held at gunpoint.

Then the crowd parted before me and he was there. He looked straight at me, but it took him a heartbeat to recognize me. Then he smiled, warm and happy to see me, and I smiled back. Maybe I wouldn't have to seek closure; maybe I could seek reconciliation. We were both different people now and might be able to make it work.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi."

Ok, maybe we'd need more for reconciliation, but it was a start. I was about to ask how he'd been when a leggy blonde with fake boobs came out through the kitchen door, claiming his attention. He reached his arm to her and she wrapped herself around him on his lap, and pulled him into a hot kiss. And he kissed her back.

What the hell?