She felt Nicholas' eyes on her. She eyed him right back and waited for him to ask whatever was on his mind. Less than forty-eight hours with this man and she was already discovering his habits. Realizing she was standing a little too close to him, she stepped back a little.

"Spit it out," she ordered.

He rose an eyebrow.

"I know that look. Ask your question."

"Why do you need to be with your boyfriend before Christmas Eve?" He sounded genuinely interested. "A reminder that a please is always nice, too."

"Oh," she blushed. She ignored his jab. She was never one to share her innermost desires with anyone except those closest to her. "Its Christmas Eve. I really want to be with him the whole day, you know? I'm sure you and your significant other are the same."

"Sure," he drawled out. His eyes studied her a few moments more. He took off further into the mall and she scurried after.

She followed him entering and exiting most of the mall's shops. She had even circled the main walkways with him a few times. He was a man on a mission, to get as long as a reprieve from their car ride as possible. She didn't blame him. Admittedly, her own legs were happy to be stretched and in use as well.

As they made their way into the main part of the mall where the line for Santa gathered, she noticed a stage. On the stage a live band was being assembled. A small group of customers were assembling in front of the stage.

"What kind of mall is this?" she asked to no one in particular as Nicholas finally slowed down and stood nearby the listening area.

He chuckled. "Right?" 

They stood people watching as they waited. "I'm going to get some coffee before they start, do you want anything?" He offered.

When she shook her head no, he disappeared into the crowd.

The band assembled and the music started. The crowd gave a low cheer of applause. The line must have been longer than Nicholas thought, because she enjoyed a couple of Christmas modern classics before she felt his presence appear next to her again. 

"Terrible line," he explained. She nodded, tapping her foot to the cheery tune. 

He studied her happy demeanor with a sneaking smile. 

She watched as he walked over and threw his cup away before returning once more. 

He shot her a full blown grin as Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree blared through the speakers.

Before she could protest, he grabbed her hands. He attempted to shimmy her around, but she stood firmly in her place. "There's people watching..." she whispered sharply, snatching her hands away from his grip.

"So? They don't know us and we don't know them. Come on, Lacey, live a little!"

She looked up at his twinkling green eyes. She wasn't sure if it was his delicious smile or the Christmas music, but Lacey made a decision that she had never made before.

She allowed herself to have fun. 

She forced the thoughts out of her head, the way that Josh would rather the earth swallow him whole than allow people to whisper and gossip about him. She pushed down the uncomfortable churn of her stomach and held out her hand. He laughed and took her hand in his. His hand was so large it seemed to swallow her own.

It took a second, but she was able to ignore the stares of the other patrons as she allowed him to take the lead.

He jimmied and shimmed the two of them in their little corner. He twirled her around and she couldn't help the giggle that erupted. Grinning from ear to ear, Lacy allowed her handsome traveling companion to lead her in a semi-coordinated dance to the beat of the Christmas tune. She lost herself in the moment.

Her face was red with exertion by the time the song ended. She had to catch her breath before she could look up at Nicholas. He was already looking down at her with joy when she finally glanced up.

"Now, that wasn't so bad, was it? I'd venture to say you even had fun making a fool out of ourselves!"

She held his eyes. His eyes that, if it were possible, twinkled more than she had ever noticed before. It made his eyes reflect a beautiful jade.

"Thank you, Nick," she told him with a smile. A genuine full blown smile that hurt her cheeks to share.

He brushed her hair out of her eyes. "My pleasure," he grinned down at her.

A wave of applause for the band broke out and broke the spell between the two of them. She hastily stepped backwards to put a little space between them when she realized how close they were standing.

Still, her heart thudded in her chest and she couldn't contain a joyful grin.