Even if Newt never forgave her, she had to do it. He couldn't walk away happy with a no-maj. Her sister wasn't allowed to. Her sister had to live with the heartbreak.

So now Newt had to.

Why couldn't Newt just pick her? Wouldn't that make everything so much easier?

"Newt," Tina began in a sad voice. "You know I have to do this. Don't make this harder than it has to be."

"Tina, you know that you don't have to do this," Newt began. He knew what he was talking about, and he hoped Tina did too. In fact, he knew Tina should know what he was talking about. She had lied to him. While ______ had been getting ready to leave yesterday, he had popped in for a visit in MACUSA. There was no law about moving away from America with a Muggle.

Tina feigned ignorance. Or, perhaps it wasn't feigning. Maybe she truly had convinced herself that this was the only way. Either way, she didn't register what Newt was saying. "What do you mean?" she asked, furrowing her eyebrows. "Newt, please, if you don't want me to do this, then you have to do it yourself."

"No way," Newt shook his head. "Tina, you lied to me."

"What?" Tina asked, her voice cracking. His voice was so accusing, so cold towards her.

Newt could stand here and argue with Tina, he could fight her, he could bargain with her. He could do all of this, but what he wanted to do was make sure that ______ was safe under any of these circumstances. He didn't want to get distracted and possibly miss something, ______ getting hurt of obliviated in the process. No matter what he did, he had to make sure she was safe. He turned to her. He hadn't let go of her hand, and she was still standing behind him, confused and worried. "______," he began, looking at her. "Go into your guest bedroom and step into my case, I will not have you lose your memory. Not like this."

"I don't want to leave you," ______ told him before she thought through her words.

"______... I don't want you to lose your memory under any circumstances. Especially not under these ones, not when you're so close to finally leaving like you always wanted."

"Newt, don't do anything rash for me. I don't want you getting into trouble for me."

"You and I have done nothing wrong, I promise. I didn't lie to you ______, I never lied to you." He looked down from her eyes, so her lips, to her pocket where he could see Pickett. Usually he told others to look after his beasts, but here, now, he was asking Pickett to look after ______. It was so obvious, he knew Pickett could get ______ out of this situation if he had to. He already proved to be protective of her before, so now he knew Pickett would come through for him. "Just please, go. I'll come get you in a second."

"He might not," Tina piped in. "Laws are laws."

"Go, now," Newt told her in a soothing whisper. ______ nodded silently, looking towards Tina. She knew she should be mad at Tina. She was trying to take away her memories, she was being heartless, she seemed full of herself from the moment she walked in the door, but at the same time... she could see a shade of sadness. Tina didn't want to do this, not to Newt at least. She could tell that much.

Could it be that Tina was in love with him?

As she turned her back to walk away, Tina pointed her wand. "Obliviate."

As ______ heard the words leave Tina's mouth, she froze up. She expected something, and in a millisecond of silence, she was expecting the worse. However, that's not what happened. Instead, she turned around to see Newt jumped in front of her, pointing his wand. "Protego!" he shouted, and the silver mist that seemed so close to hitting her seemed to be deflected by an invisible wall. He looked back at ______. "Run," he told her in the calmest voice he could muster.

______ nodded, and she turned and ran, hoping she wouldn't hear Tina's voice again. Newt seemed to be keeping an incredibly calm demeanor the entire time, but on the inside, he was panicking. He wasn't sure what he was doing, or if he was doing anything right. He was acting off impulse, and perhaps that was what was saving him.

______ ran into the now-vacant room, seeing Newt's suitcase resting on the bed. She took a breath and opened it slowly. She had never been in there without Newt, she felt like she was invading. She felt like she was trespassing. He did, however, tell her to go in there, and she trusted him. So, with one last look behind her back, she climbed down, hiding herself.

Meanwhile, Newt and Tina were still in a standstill. Newt kept his wand pointed, watching her. You could barely detect that there was a shade of sadness and regret in his eyes. He didn't want to fight with Tina, he didn't want this to be happening. "Tina," he began, in a low, calm voice. "Why did you lie to me?"

"I still don't know what you're talking about," Tina told him, beginning to lower her wand. She didn't come here to fight Newt, she came here to obliviate ______. She wasn't going to leave without doing that, but she wasn't going to hurt Newt in the process.

"I went to MACUSA to brush up on some of the laws against Muggle and wizard relations. There's nothing stating that they have to be obliviated even if they're leaving the country, nothing that even sounds like it. As soon as ______ and I leave, we're out of MACUSA's jurisdiction, you don't have to worry about it."

Tina froze. She knew that, she knew that. Somehow, she managed to convince herself there was no other way. She didn't want to believe that was the law. She didn't want to believe that she'd be seeing Newt and ______ get on a boat and leave, off to be happy together.

She wanted to leave with him.

He had saved her, and she couldn't forget that. They were going to die, but he saved her. Since then, she's always felt... something. She thought that maybe he felt it to, but now, she could see he never held her that way. Still, she wanted to hear it from him She needed to hear it from him. Why did he like her so much? What made her so special? Why was he doing all of this?

"Newt..." she began, now in a calmer voice. On a completely different level, on a different thought. "Why are you doing all of this for her?"

"I already told you-" he began, but he didn't get to finish.

"You said it was because she's your friend, I know. That's what you're saying, but it doesn't make any sense. Jacob was your friend too, and you didn't do half of this for him. You didn't try to protect him from the law, you just accepted that's the way things were. You watched as your friend lost all his memories of you. It doesn't make sense. You call her a friend, but you hold her higher. How do you really feel about her?"

Now Newt was the one to pause. She wasn't lying, and now he didn't understand it either. Jacob was Newt's friend, and he knew he had to let Jacob go. So, he did. He felt so bad about it, watching Jacob forget everything. Of course, he did give Jacob a little something for his trouble, even if he doesn't know why it was given to him. But, with ______... he couldn't imagine just letting her go with a trinket. He couldn't imagine giving into this fight. It was just something about her, he felt more drawn to her than he was to other people. She understood him, she understood his beasts.

And she had the most magnificent eyes.

"I care about her, Tina. I really do. I can't see another person forget about me, not when I hold her so close. I can't forget her, and I can't let her forget about me."

She finally heard it. Tina finally heard the straight answer she wanted.

"I loved you," she suddenly told him. Newt's eyes widened with shock as she continued. "Ever since you saved me, I loved you."

Before Newt could open his mouth to say something, Tina sighed and held up her wand again. Tears she didn't even know were in her eyes spilled over, and she tried everything not to just full out cry right there. She finally heard it, and she knew it all along. He didn't love her, she knew that.

It just hurt so much more knowing he was in love with ______. ______, the no-maj.

Before Newt could say anything to her, she interrupted him. "I'll leave you alone then. Get your case, get ______, and get out of New York. Be happy, for me Newt. I loved you." With that, she waved her wand, and she had apparated out of the apartment.

Newt just stood there, dumbfounded.

"I had no idea."